Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick and easy extra I/C cooling..

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 12:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Quick and easy extra I/C cooling..

A simple and easy thing to do is to put a spray bar on the intercooler heat exchanger. A large windshield washer bottle, electric pump and some spray nozzles strategically located will do the trick. Put the button to run the pump nearby. Run methanol or windshield washer fluid in the system. You only need to cool it when you want the power so it doesn't have to run except for burst periods.An intercooler spray bar is much easier, cheaper and doesn't take long at all to rig up than the freon type.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Quick and easy extra I/C cooling..

Do you have this. Post some pics?

Old 07-22-2005, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

Not yet! This came from a buddy of mine who has been a powertrain engineer for the last 33 years. He got to thinking last night about my new 1.8T, and emailed me this concept. He's done it many times over the years on their test 'mules', and it makes one HELL of a difference!
I've got to do it. Think about it..prettymuch everything you need is over at 'pickN'pull for a few bucks.. that, and a piece of aluminum for a nozzle holder (spraybar) and you've got it made.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

Sounds good, always down for some cheap but productive modding. Let me know how it works out.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

I think it would be easier to run a bottle of CO2 or just a small compressor and small air tank. Compressed air is cold and you won't have to spray a liquid on your i/c.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Danase

I think it would be easier to run a bottle of CO2 or just a small compressor and small air tank. Compressed air is cold and you won't have to spray a liquid on your i/c.
Uh, Compressed air actually heats. I think you have it confused with gasses such as argon, nitrogen, freon etc. I don't know what could easier, samller (and cheaper) than a little 12v windshield washer pump. plastic blottle and a switch. A mixture a H2o and wood alcohol sprayed will certainly not hurt the intercooler. I'ts done all the time. Big bang for the buck!

Old 07-22-2005, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

but isnt compressed air heavy

Old 07-22-2005, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

that is a stupid question dont respond ... lol cause 20oz tank weighs like 1 pound lol

Old 07-22-2005, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

I live in Alabama and my car sucks bad during the day. I'm confident there's a second difference in my quarter mile time when comparing might driving and day driving. I might just have to give this a try. I assume just aim the sprayers towards the fins on the intercooler?

Old 07-22-2005, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: juju4uofa

I live in Alabama and my car sucks bad during the day. I'm confident there's a second difference in my quarter mile time when comparing might driving and day driving. I might just have to give this a try. I assume just aim the sprayers towards the fins on the intercooler?
Yep, aim them (4-6?) right at the intercooler fins. The better the atomizing (spray pattern) from the nozzles, the more efficient the cooling. Later model cars at the junkyard have pretty good spray nozzles, but for some real good ones go to the ricer type after market shops. (Try to stay away from the fart cans LOL).They have some nice, brass spray nozzles that make a real good pattern.

Quick Reply: Quick and easy extra I/C cooling..