Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reviews of parts that don't have many reviews here...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Reviews of parts that don't have many reviews here...

Well, now that I've settled in here (just moved to the denver area) and I'm fixing and upgrading stuff on the A4 (the trip out here was pretty tough on it), I figured I'd post some reviews of parts I've had installed recently that I had trouble finding reviews for. If you've had a similar experience where you couldn't get much info on something and ended up going for it anyway, feel free to add on whatever you'd like.

Here's a few so far:

1) INMotion Tuning - On my 1998 2.8 30v, my throttle response is now somewhat respectable, I have significantly more power at altitude, my car is much more fun all around and I have yet to have any problems. I have driven a car almost identicle to mine that had a giac chip, but that was at sea level (or damn close to it), so my comparison may not be the most accurate, but to me it seems like the INMotion software is a little weaker (compared to the GIAC, I still haven't gotten used to how much stronger it pulls than stock) up to maybe 2500 rpm or so, but then it seems to really kick in and pulls strong through redline at pretty much the same fun-level of the GIAC (I know that I now have the stock rev-limiter removed, but in my car I can't imagine there's really any power gain past redline that's worth the risk, so I don't know where the limiter is set now). For less than the cost of a GIAC setup, I got a spare ecu to keep driving my car while the flash was taking place, and am now much more happy with how my car drives. I plan on a dyno day sometime this winter, so I'll have some actual numbers then, but I would recomend them to anybody with a 2.8 who was a tad bit disapointed with the old-man-slugishness of their stock engine, or needs something cheap to hold them over until they can afford that shiny new supercharger...

2) 034 Engine Mounts and Snub Mount (street density) - Again, this was in my 1998 2.8qm. I actaully did just the motor mounts first, and they are definately much stiffer than stock. Comapred to my buddies car (same as the one above) that has the rs4 mounts I think, there's a teensy bit more vibration (more on this in a sec), but aside from that, they are definately all you'd need with this engine in terms of stiffness and durability. I didn't install them myself (no more garage ) so I can't comment on installation or anything.
The snub mount also made a significant differance in ride quality. The engine mounts alone took up almost all of the slack even with a shoddy stock snub, but with the new snub there is absolutely no slack or movement anymore. Shifts are much smoother and driving in traffic is much more tollerable without the constant clunking feel of the engine shifting.
As I said, there is definately some added vibration, but you really have to think about it to notice it. In fact, it's much more of a slow rumbling feeling that's makes your car feel like it's really powerful regardless of how much it sucks. Even then, it's only at low idle (600-700 rpm I guess it would be) and standing still that I can even notice it. There's no added noise either at idle or at speed that I've noticed so far. I've had them for a couple weeks now, and I'd definatley say that they broke in a bit, but that was within the first couple days and again, it wasn't really anything that would catch your attention unless you were paying attention to it in the first place. Again, I woud definately recomend them to anybody who would gladly add 10 minutes to their daily commute to hit that sick chicane that's just a bit out of the way, but not to anybody who just wants to drive their car and cruise along without paying attention to such details. They'd probably think the rumbling to be annoying, or at least think something's wrong because their car never did it before.

But yeah, there will be much more to come, and feel free to add your own...

Old 11-11-2007, 02:56 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Reviews of parts that don't have many reviews here...

great idea. thanx for the reviews. more people should do this