Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rumble sound from engine 2003 1.8tqm

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:35 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Rumble sound from engine 2003 1.8tqm

ORIGINAL: spectrum

ok say hypothetically it is the timming belt would a worn timing belt do this??? For me, I don't think it's the wheel bearings because it happend after chipping!
ORIGINAL: Dunzie182,

ive actually been having the same problem recently, also. i thought it was the timing belt at first, but i believe its the wheel bearings.
I never really noticed before chipping my car, but I could be wrong. I definately know I hear it now.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

No feedback? Nobody knows what is causing this?? Timing Belt? Engine fluids?

Old 06-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: TurboQuattroPwr

How the **** is a timing belt gunna make a rumbling noise?! That doesnt make any sense no matter how you look at it. Diagnosing "rumbbling" noises over the internet is pretty hard to do, especially if its not obvious things like tires or your driving style. If it happend after you got chipped, and the help here isnt cutting it for you, the next logical thing to do is take it back to where you got chipped and explain the situation to them Here are the logical possibilites, most of which have already been left as "feedback":

Tires
Wheel bearing
Driving style (not downshifting at high engine loads)
low tire pressure (maybe)
low tranny fluid
low differential fluid
worn differential/tranny components

Most likely either wheel bearing(s) or your tires. if you dont think so, get it checked out by a pro.

If you have a "high performance" air filter or intake, that might/will generate a "growl" noise that could possibly be missinterperated as a "rumble".

Old 06-09-2006, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

I'm not chipped, but have experienced the same problem. I experienced the same type of problem on my last car (2001 Licoln LS8) and found out what it was. Under heavy load, the traction control would pulse very fast, creating a loud rumble...almost like a grinding differential.

I noticed my car did it more in the rain...and that got me thinking that wet+worn tires could case some minute traction loss, activating the traction control. I can't say this is what it is for sure on the A4, but it's a possibility. Try disabling the ESP and replicate the scenario.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:12 PM

mmmmm interesting so it could be TRC/ESP staying on when not required or abs fault, disabling the ESP and replicate the scenario is a good start
whats a 2001 Lincoln LS8?? never seen one

Old 06-09-2006, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

How the **** is a timing belt gunna make a rumbling noise?! That doesnt make any sense no matter how you look at it. Diagnosing "rumbbling" noises over the internet is pretty hard to do, especially if its not obvious things like tires or your driving style. If it happend after you got chipped, and the help here isnt cutting it for you, the next logical thing to do is take it back to where you got chipped and explain the situation to them Here are the logical possibilites, most of which have already been left as "feedback":

Tires
Wheel bearing
low tranny fluid
low differential fluid

Most likely either wheel bearing(s) or your tires. if you dont think so, get it checked out by a pro.

If you have a "high performance" air filter or intake, that might/will generate a "growl" noise that could possibly be missinterperated as a "rumble".
No need to get all excited I was just quoting possible reasons for the problem from others. Myself, I think its my Primacy tires that make the noise. Have been told that they are really loud tires. I'll try the ESP thing later today and give you results.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Site Moderator

The only thing im excited about is for you or other people to explain to me how a timing belt is going to make a rumbling sound!!!![&:][&:][&:]!!!!![&:]!!?????- See how Im so excited!!! If you think that a timing belt is going to produce that sound, you need to take it in to a proffesional.
I agree that the tires are the likely cause.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

mmmmm interesting so it could be TRC/ESP staying on when not required or abs fault, disabling the ESP and replicate the scenario is a good start
whats a 2001 Lincoln LS8?? never seen one
It's just a thought...I'm no expert, just a learning diy'er. Here's a look at the Lincoln:

www.autofotos.com/SVC%20Lincoln%20LS8.jpg

Old 06-10-2006, 02:28 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Tires
Wheel bearing
low tranny fluid
low differential fluid

I understand the noise is hard to determine on the internet thought it might be a common problem. I'm thinking more and more that it is wheelbearings. Its unfortunate that I should have this problem thinking Audis were built better!