Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS BRAKE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:48 AM
1st Gear
Default SERIOUS BRAKE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got done replacing the front rotors and pads on my car and did everything according to the diy tech article on audiworld.com and now my brake pedal goes to the floor when i'm stopping unless I pump it up a couple times then it works fine. I have to pump it every time i want to stop. The brakes were fine(besides being low) before i changed them so I'm sure it's something I did. I tried bleeding the brakes and still nothing. I've done brakes plenty of times, and i have no idea what could be wrong. Any ideas?

Old 08-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Default RE: SERIOUS BRAKE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've got an air bubble in your brake line. Your going to need to bleed every line until you get the bubble out. but while wour bleeding tehm watch the fluid resovoir to make sure you dont let any more air in. so if you only replaced teh front to start on one side and bleed it pump the pedal a few times then put some brake fluid in and continue for a little. then go to the other side and do the same. if you have a buddy there let them watch to see if the bubble comes out, it will be a break in the flow. if its just you do it for a while on both sides and then seal everything off and see if you got the bubble. its not a real big problem just a pain in teh *** to fix. but MAKE SURE no more air gets into the system.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:11 AM
1st Gear

how long do you think I should have to bleed the brakes for because I did it for a while and it seemed fine. It makes sense that there is an air bubble but I am confused on how air got into the system, through the reservoir? Also do i have to bleed the rear brakes too?

Old 08-28-2006, 02:41 AM
2nd Gear

I believe that the way these cars are set up is x-crossed for sharing break fluid, so the front right break shares fluid with the back left, and visa versa. So if you can find out where the bubble is, then you know which line to bleed. The only way i can think of to find out would be to find a nice patch of wet pavement, and stomp your breaks and look at the patches.

Now i could be compleetly off here, but i think im close. And i dont know if you will be able to evel lock em up enough wiht the ABS (it may cycle too often to leave a noticeable patch)

Or you could bleed both lines and see what happens.

And again, i could be compleetly wrong here, so it would be nice just if someone else could confirm my meathods/info!

Good luck

Old 08-28-2006, 02:45 AM
4th Gear

Just to be sure go ahead and bleed all four, check for a possible somewhere. You should already know that you start from the farthest rear wheel first anyways.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:07 AM

The air most likely came through the resovior. If the fluid gets to low when your bleeding it sucks in air and thus a buble(Bubble? Buuble? forgot how to spell) you dont have to bleed all four but sense all the brakes are fed off of one resovior it could have went into any line. i would start with the front 2 and bleed each one a good bit do one quick hard push then 2 long slow pushes. make sure the resovior dosent get low then try it again. do that 2 maybe 3 times on each side. close everything up pump the brakes a good 10 times or until they get hard cranmk it up drive around and see if that worked if not bleed the back the same way. that should do the trick