Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

servic/oil question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 08:46 PM
1st Gear
Default servic/oil question

What’s up fellas, I have a few questions that I’m certain you guys can help me out with, but first, I currently have 57,000miles my 99’ a4 (I bought it with 53,000miles). I got the 60,000 mile service done today because I wasn’t sure what the previous owner did as far as maintenance goes. Well I took it to an Audi dealer and they change the oil, spark plugs, etc. etc. What really bothered me was that all of the parts came up to about $120 and the labor was $320!!!! Totaling close to $500. My question is:
1 - The important question is is there any advice, suggestions as far as the step process that will help me with my next oil change because I’m certain I can change my oil by myself next time to save money. One of my buddies takes his Audi to the super WalMart, but I don’t know about that.
2 - Also, what brand of oil (ex. Mobil 1 5w-30) and filters do you guys use when your change your oil.
I hope these aren’t stupid questions. I use to change my oil all the time on my Accord, but I’m kinda hesitant to do it for my Audi, but I would like to do it next time…. Your help is greatly appreciated.
C-Bing.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Default RE: servic/oil question

you were smart to do the 60k service just to be safe. as far as for your next oil change, you could either do it yourself or take it to an audi/vw specialty shop nearby (if possible). as far as oil goes, for your car Mobil 1 recommends 0-w40.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:07 PM
4th Gear

You don't mention your engine or location (Of you, not the engine).

Mobil 1 0-40. Use an OEM filter (Mann) which you can get over the net from places like ECS tuning. Get the new larger filter. Change every 5K miles and if you do it yourself keep every receipt as Audi will want to see them if you have a problem with engine sludge. Keep records of date and mileage, and keep your receipt for purchasing the oil.

If you have a tiptronic make sure that you know which plug is your transmission and which is your oil pan. (Spend 15 bucks on a Haynes manual). Don't over torque the drain plug when you are finished. Don't overfill.

I get mine changed at Wallyworld. I supply the filter, they supply the oil and greasy hands.

BTW, there is no reason to take your car to the dealer. Find a reliable VW/Audi independent mechanic.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear

He has a 1999 A4 2.8... check his sig.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:58 PM

I use M1 5W-30 b/c i have a higher mileage engine (it was put in at 76,000) and i used the stock oil filter. I also use a specialized german mechanic by me to do all my services and help with any questions i have. There is also a new VW mechanic that just moved in next to his place so they help each other na dsometimes the VW mechanic will use his comps oin my car and stuff like that.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

i always use 10W 40 in my car but it is a little tuffer to find it in mobil 1 where I am located so I just use castrol syntec. I also use a k&n oil filter(the in my opinion).

p.s. if u can change the oil in your prev. car, u can in your audi, its not hard. Although make sure u reset your service light.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

cool, thanks guys

Old 06-13-2005, 10:24 PM
4th Gear

I've never had any problems with Wal*Mart. They charge $29.70 for an oil change with Mobil 1 0W-40, I supply a Bosch filter.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:18 PM

if you new anything you stupid Fu@k you would also know taht Mobil1 is not a recommened oil for the 1.8T motor dumbass

ORIGINAL: germancarmaniac

i always use 10W 40 in my car but it is a little tuffer to find it in mobil 1 where I am located so I just use castrol syntec. I also use a k&n oil filter(the in my opinion).

p.s. if u can change the oil in your prev. car, u can in your audi, its not hard. Although make sure u reset your service light.

Old 06-14-2005, 02:06 PM
4th Gear

Knew not new. If you want respect from other members stop cursing and insulting the membership. Here in the USA, we can use any oil that meets ACEA A3 or A5 in our 1.8Ts.

Quick Reply: servic/oil question