Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter goes into tiptronic too easily

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 07:06 PM
1st Gear
Default shifter goes into tiptronic too easily

When my 98 A4 is in Drive, all i have to do is hit a decent sized bump or turn left to make the shifter slide into tiptronic mode. It feels like there used to be a barrier inbetween the two modes that would take some force to be overcome but now it slides right in without any effort at all. Of course, this is nothing more than an annoyance but it definitely IS ANNOYING. Is this a common problem and is there any way to fix it? Thanks!

Old 01-10-2006, 07:55 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: shifter goes into tiptronic too easily

I wish i had the option of switching i have a 97... Oh well guess its good cause i dont have to worry about that.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tip5

I wish i had the option of switching i have a 97... Oh well guess its good cause i dont have to worry about that.
lol the pros and cons of tiptronic brought to you by Tip5

Old 01-10-2006, 08:37 PM
2nd Gear

never heard of this happening but i don't know if it's worth tearing apart your gearbox to see if it's an easy fix

Old 01-10-2006, 08:38 PM
2nd Gear

Old 01-10-2006, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

o i definitely wouldnt tear apart the gear box. i was thinking that mayb if the plastic was taken off the area around the shifter, something may have slipped out of place that would prevent the shifter from moving so easily. I guess this is not a common problem though. looks like im on my own haha

Old 04-22-2006, 03:37 PM

Any update on this? My 98 does this too, it just flops between auto and tip.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

I always hear about tri ponic shifters .. what exactlly is it ?

Old 04-23-2006, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

if you really dont use the tip just put like piece of plastic or like a piece of paper or better TAPE to hold it in place temporarly, until you find a how to fix.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

i went to a shop that specializes in audi's and they said that the whole shifter would need to be replaced and that it would cost around $200. Im not tryin to pay that much to fix this just yet so in the mean time, I glued a few layers of car board together that fit exactly into the oval area. I used a few layers to make sure it was not able to slip under the chrome plastic piece bc im sure that would not be good. To use tip, I just take the cardboard out and when im done, put it back it. Its a good temorary fix but it still annoys the hell out of me.

That guy: its Tiptronic. its a sort of manual mode in which the driver can shift the car at will by pushing up and down on the gear selector. Its like a bad substitute for a stick but it still provides some fun once in a while.

Quick Reply: shifter goes into tiptronic too easily