Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get the sports suspension or not???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 03:16 AM
Default Should I get the sports suspension or not???

Ok guys I am about to get a 2.0T auto A4 but I am unsure if I should get the sport suspension package or not... From the sounds of it, it sounds like it probably would have to be ordered according to the Audi web site. I live in an area that does get snow, rain etc. and I don't know if I would be better off with the regular suspension or not. Please Help I am going nuts. My dealer said the sport package lowered the car about an inch. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys

Old 06-06-2006, 03:23 AM
Default RE: Should I get the sports suspension or not???

Yes for sure get the sport suspension. And get a 6 speed! If thats your thing... But yeah def get the sport.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:24 AM
2nd Gear

I hope you are getting Quattro since you said you live in an area that gets snow.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:46 AM

Yes I'm getting the quattro, but not the stick, I think the stick would grow old quick for a family car. I might get stuck with the regular suspension if the dealer can't find one and my wife does not want to wait up to three months to get one either. I wish the dealer could put this package on the car, for $250 from the factory is a good price. I would probably pay twice that if my dealer would put it on, thou I don't know how much it actually costs for the parts.
Does this package make a big difference? Does it really drop the car about an inch?

Old 06-06-2006, 04:38 AM

On the b5 model its about a .75" drop to sport from non-sport. So .75"-1" sounds right for the b7.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 2nd2none

Yes I'm getting the quattro, but not the stick, I think the stick would grow old quick for a family car. I might get stuck with the regular suspension if the dealer can't find one and my wife does not want to wait up to three months to get one either. I wish the dealer could put this package on the car, for $250 from the factory is a good price. I would probably pay twice that if my dealer would put it on, thou I don't know how much it actually costs for the parts.
Does this package make a big difference? Does it really drop the car about an inch?
You would have to get shorter and a stiffer rate springs. Also, I don't have the spec's, but generally different dampers/shocks go along with stiffer rate springs to better control the stiffer rate. Many people keep the stock dampers and get lower/stiffer springs to get a lower look and center of gravity (handling) and they keep the stock dampers. In my opinion that's a temporary solution as the dampers should be matched to the dampers.
As far as the "sports suspension" that comes from Audi's factory I don't know if they use different dampers, but they do use a shorter and stiffer spring.
Also, they may use thicker sway bars as well for better handling and control.

So, yes, $250 is a great deal to get better performance from the factory.
Some people say that a sport suspension can feel too firm as it's slightly firmer over certain types of bumps. I have an S-line that has the sport suspension and the low profile 18's and I still think the ride is excellent and very smooth and compliant. Afterall, it's a sport sedan not your grandpa's Buick.

Generally dealers won't swap suspension components. Have them look and find you an A4 with the things you want including a sport suspension.
If you wait 3 months you'll be getting a 2007 at that point. If you can wait at least the car will be a model year newer, but the discount may not be as great.
I just got my A4 S-line for $500 over invoice and I didn't pay the advertising fee's.

You do have another option and that's to install aftermarket springs. Check The Tirerack for information and pricing.
You can use the stock dampers, however, they will wear quicker. Also you'll have to have the springs installed.
Good luck.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

I went from non-sport to sport suspension on the B5 platform, and it's a world of difference. It is a huge difference, so try n persuade your wife to wait a bit... it will be WELL worthwhile for you.... don't know about the rest of your family, but... it'll be WELL WORTH IT for you... hehe...
I live in NJ by the way, we get plenty of snow (not a lot, but)... and we all no NYC has BAD roads... That's why I got these instead of something more extreme... IMHO, the sports suspension handles some bumps even better than the non-sport. Little dips and cracks... the sport suspension responds MUCH better...

Oh, don't forget to tell her WHY you need it... better handling = safer driving!

Old 06-06-2006, 06:38 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: hoonee46

I went from non-sport to sport suspension on the B5 platform, and it's a world of difference. It is a huge difference, so try n persuade your wife to wait a bit... it will be WELL worthwhile for you.... don't know about the rest of your family, but... it'll be WELL WORTH IT for you... hehe...
I live in NJ by the way, we get plenty of snow (not a lot, but)... and we all no NYC has BAD roads... That's why I got these instead of something more extreme... IMHO, the sports suspension handles some bumps even better than the non-sport. Little dips and cracks... the sport suspension responds MUCH better...

Oh, don't forget to tell her WHY you need it... better handling = safer driving!

hey hoonee, i never asked you, how did the install go?

Old 06-06-2006, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the reply guys, I hope the dealer can find the one I want. Thanks for listening my wife is tired of hearing me talk about this

Old 06-06-2006, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: 2nd2none
I wish the dealer could put this package on the car, for $250 from the factory is a good price. I would probably pay twice that if my dealer would put it on, thou I don't know how much it actually costs for the parts.
The Sport Package is what defines the A4. And, figure spending at least 6 times as much to have it done after the fact!

Quick Reply: Should I get the sports suspension or not???