Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoking/loss power 2007 a4

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:01 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation smoking/loss power 2007 a4

Hello everyone, around 2 months ago I got a 2007 Audi A4 2.0t. When I first got it the car drove quite well. It could easily accelerate, maintain speed, and handle well. After 3 weeks the car had a complete breakdown one day. I was driving up a steep hill and I noticed a HUGE plume of white smoking coming out. The car instantly started going weak and I pulled over. When I started it up again it continued to smoke and drive very poorly (weak, no power, couldn't accelerate). I brought it over to a friends house who lived near by and knows a bit about cars. I parked it in his drive way and he asked to drive it around the block to see if he could hear/smell anything distinctive. As soon as we backed out of his drive way the car got complete loss of power. Couldn't accelerate in the slightest. We managed to lurch the car (bunch of little accelerations) back to the driveway. He opened the hood and the turbo was glowing RED. He got a tool to check the temperature and it was over 600 degrees. We let it cool down for a while. When I attempted to start it up it just completely stalled. I got AAA to tow it back to the dealer. They looked for 2 days and claimed they couldn't find any problems. I told them to take it for a test drive up the road their on (they're on a steep road with a speed limit of 50) I get a call back 30 minutes later that luckily for me they found a problem. They told me they fixed the "clips on the coils" and that everything is working fine. I pickup the car and its fine for about a week. Unfortunately, now its out of warranty AND not covered by the lemon law. Now whenever I go up a big hill or accelerate up a slope my car makes a *cracklin* or *rumbling* noise (very hard to describe), white smoke starts to come out of the exhaust, and I gradually start to slow down. As a result I need to accelerate more, which just causes more smoke. Once I get the top of the hill or just decided to drive up it slowly (not an option on a highways) it gradually calms down and goes back to normal driving. The car is very moody about those things. Some days it will drive extremely well, like the day I just got it. Some days it will smoke multiple times. But most days it will only smoke if I need to accelerate quickly up a hill (like a highway or if its very steep). I had a mechanic look at the car and he did a compression test which showed no problem. I would really appreciate some advice. Feel free to ask for more details if you need them. Thanks in advance

Old 09-05-2011, 07:43 AM
1st Gear

Check when the Mafs were last changed they shoud be changed every 60/70k miles this will effect performance and will give off a white smoke not expensive to replace to be honest mine did the same when I first bought her changed it 2 days after buying her and all is well.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

Yeah I forgot to mention the mileage. I have 69xxx miles on it so that might be the problem In order to check the mafs would I look at the carfax/service history or look at the actual piece in the car?

Old 09-05-2011, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I would change it anyway it should say on the service history or on an invoice but it's due for one by the sounds of it and then you know it's done. Im 99% sure it's that

Old 03-16-2014, 10:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Same issue

I have the same exact issue, did you find the solution? I was told I have to change turbo assembly

Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

Was the issue solved after changing the MAF?