Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soo Lost

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 08:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Soo Lost

Okay, i have used the nifty search function, but i am afraide i am asking the qrong qustions.
Now i have also read the newbie guide and it helped alot but i still have alot of questions being that this is my first turbo car. i know the benifits of a turbo time and am planning on buying one, but what is a boost controller? and will having one realy do much for my audi? 2nd i realy want to get a chip, but donot live close to any companies that do install work, is it hard to pull the ECU/are there any companies that will let you mail the in other than Neuspeed?
If you have gotten this far congrats, also i am thinking a ebay inter-cooler i read about. am i on the right track or destin to blow my car up?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Default RE: Soo Lost

#1- get a boost guage

#2- you don't need a turbo timer, just drive calmly for the last couple minutes before you know you are going to turn off your car, and after you park let the motor idle for a good 20-30 seconds (that's what a turbo timer does)

#3- get a chip/diverter valve (you will need to get a new dv to handle the added pressure from the chip...as far as a chip goes i would say that the most aggressive ship you can buy is GIAC, but there is also a group buy going on right now with speed tuning (search speed tuning group buy, and you'll find it)...it is extremely easy to remove your ecu, if you search for it you'll prolly find 10 threads about it...

you can mail your ecu to an GIAC dealer and they'll send it back next day (it should cost about 450$)

as far as neuspeed goes, their chips are weak, and I have heard reviews that they are just plain trash (not quite trash, just not satisfying)
---

an mbc is a manual boost controller, it does just what the name implies, it lets you adjust your boost...if you raise boost without adjusting timing and such, you can severly damage your motor...for your application, you do not need a MBC.

you should also look into the airbox-mod in our DIY Section

audidiy.com has alot of good do it yourself links

the eBay fmic is the way I plan on going as well, although it really isn't needed for a 1.8T that is just chipped...but it sure does look sexy...

gl!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

thanks, yea i saw the airbox mod and am planning on it, same with the DV and boost gadge.
thanks for the info of the timer and group buy

Old 12-09-2007, 08:04 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: mr.cAp

Okay, i have used the nifty search function, but i am afraide i am asking the qrong qustions.
Now i have also read the newbie guide and it helped alot but i still have alot of questions being that this is my first turbo car. i know the benifits of a turbo time and am planning on buying one, but what is a boost controller? and will having one realy do much for my audi? 2nd i realy want to get a chip, but donot live close to any companies that do install work, is it hard to pull the ECU/are there any companies that will let you mail the in other than Neuspeed?
If you have gotten this far congrats, also i am thinking a ebay inter-cooler i read about. am i on the right track or destin to blow my car up?
boost controller controls the boost. hence its name. you can crank it up or turn it down, but if you go outside of what the MAF can correct you will run lean and fvck ur engine up. if you get a chip, there is no reason to get a boost controller unless you want to get rid of spiking. where do you live? http://www.goapr.com/Audi/dealer/index.html and http://www.giacusa.com/dealermap/ give you all the locations. or if you go with speedtuning you send your ECU to them and they mail it back, so your not gona be able to drive your car for a little while. what year is your car? cause some have the chips soldered in, while others are flashed. if its soldered you can mail it to any one of the companies and they will chip it for you. if its gotta be flashed your SOL and gotta take the car in to a dealer. and the ecu is simple as hell to remove. and yeah an ebay fmic is a good idea

#2- you don't need a turbo timer, just drive calmly for the last couple minutes before you know you are going to turn off your car, and after you park let the motor idle for a good 20-30 seconds (that's what a turbo timer does)
if you get a turbo timer you never have to worry about letting the car cool down and they're cheap. and after some spirited driving, you dont wana have to wait in the car for 2-3 minutes do you? im gettin pretty sick of it...

Old 12-09-2007, 08:05 AM
5th Gear

forgot to add revo locations- http://www.revotechnik.com/locateDealer/index.aspx