Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange engine trouble - 2006

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Strange engine trouble - 2006

I have a 2006 A4, 2.0T, Tiptronic and something very bizarre is going on with the engine, I think. I had the car in the shop at the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Occasionally, while accelerating - sometimes slow acceleration, sometimes fast - just when it seems like the car is going to (down?) shift to go faster, it doesn't. While keeping my foot on the gas right where I had it, the car no longer accelerates - it seems kind of stuck. Here is the wierd part - putting the peddle down to the floor and bringing it back - the engine doesn't respond at all! So I take the gas peddle from where it was while the car was accelerating and now not accelerating, floor it, or increase it - whatever and the RPM's stay the same and the engine basically ignores the gas peddle.

The only way I can get the engine out of this mode is to take my foot off the gas and let it slow down to a point where it starts re-engaging.

I ran into this again this morning and instead of getting off the gas peddle, I shifted to Sport on the Tranny ('S') and the engine began to respond again.

It's pretty random and a difficult thing to explain to the dealership.

Any ideas?

Old 03-29-2007, 02:25 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Strange engine trouble - 2006

could be bad Throttle Body,
did you experience raugh idle? if yes check your air filter, boost
leak, bad sensor (MAF)....
any codes ???

have dealer do all this work...

Old 03-29-2007, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response.

The problem is not consistent, so I don't think it's the throttle body. Goes like heck when the transmission is in Sport mode. I haven't seen the issue occur yet while in 'Sport'.

The first day that I noticed the problem, after it happened a few times, the check engine light went on, and no codes. Took it to the dealer and they didn't find anything wrong. Quite baffling. Since I got the car back, it's still doing it, but I can't repeat the problem on my own, it just happens when it happens.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

dont believe dealer, they wont admin they sold you bad car... it's really helpfull if u check for codes before u take it to the dealer...
my is 2000 and manual, don’t have sport mode… first I had bad air filter, then my sensor went bad and my throttle body looked ugly… i’m not saying I’m right, but that’s what I had on my on first few month… and if I’m right it’s going to get worst…

Old 03-30-2007, 02:04 AM
1st Gear

Your crazy sactown. The dealer will fix it, it just has to happen when its there so they can see that theres something wrong with it....Its not that they dont believe you, theyare supposedto verify it.