Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof

Old 08-08-2005, 04:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Sunroof

Ok guys, I bought a 98 A4 a few weeks ago with 58,000 miles. It needs some cosmetic stuff like door trim and what not but runs great. But I have a pretty big problem with the sunroof. When I turn the switch to the closed position the sunroof sits below the roof line, and leaks like a seive. I've seen my friend's A4 and his is definitely flush with the roof. When i turn it to full open it moves a very little bit and then gets stuck. If i vent it it vents a little but not fully. And when vented you can see that one side of the sunroof is higher than the other side. It is very crooked. Any ideas on what this could be. I can't open it manually with the crank either, it just sticks. I did raise it to be level with the roof so that it won't leak, but you can still see that one side is higher than the other, its not completely flush. I think this is probably my first legitimate post on Audi forums lol, and i'm breaking the rules of the good night thread because i just posted on there and now i'm posting again, but i need help! thanks in advance.

Keith

Old 08-09-2005, 04:47 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Sunroof

nothing?

Old 08-09-2005, 05:10 PM

Holberts...

Old 08-09-2005, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

Yea, I was trying to avoid a dealer. My uncle has a Jag and he was having a problem with his sunroof and he went to the dealer and they wanted like 700 bucks then he went somewhere else and they charged like 200, I need to find out where he went.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:39 PM
6th Gear

I wonder if the plastic rails are shot on the sunroof.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

Yea Jest, my Dad and I both thought about that, maybe the track is messed up. Any ideas what that would cost to replace and how hard it would be?

Old 08-09-2005, 07:56 PM

wow definetly a good question i've never seen this before but it does sound like maybe one of the sliders on the track is sticking or something have you lubricated the track ?

Old 08-09-2005, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

I can't get to the track. I just bought the car, it was parked under trees, there were a lot of leaves built up under the trunk lid and stuff, so I mean there could be stuff built up in there. I think it needs to be more than just a lubrication thing though because it doesn't even sit level, like I could see it being sticking if one side of sunroof looked like it was moving back. But I can't get to the track anyway cuz it doesn't pop up enough and it doesn't open at all. If I drop the headliner will I have any access to anything? It's almost the end of summer and I'd love to use it before the summer ends lol. Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:12 PM
6th Gear

dropping the headliner may be the only way to gain access to what you want.

there is also a wrench in the fuse box to crank the sunroof manually.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

Yea, I had to manually crank it just so it wouldn't leak. When you set it to zero it's actually a little below the roof line and leaks like crazy. But I can't open it all the way manually either. It just doesn't want to budge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunroof