Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunshade problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 05:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Sunshade problem

Just bought my wife a 2009 A4 Avant Quattro with the 2.0T. It has 94k, but the engine was just rebuilt by the dealership at 89k due to excessive oil consumption. It runs great, only problem is the sunshade for the panoramic sunroof is stuck in the rear position. I purchased it from a private seller and he said it had just recently happened. The sunroof itself works perfectly. I checked the fuse in the left front panel labeled 'sun blind' and it is intact. When holding the button down I cannot hear a motor running. Any ideas on what the problem is or how expensive a repair will be? Thanks

Old 05-26-2014, 09:41 AM
2nd Gear

The Sunshade FUSE is for the automatic REAR window sunshade...

The FRONT sunshade on the sunroof should move with the sunroof, there is no 'separate' motor for the shade. Try holding the key in the door to the lock position for 30 seconds, it will generally close all the windows and sunroof (if they are open). Also, if it's locked, and you hold the key in the door to the unlock position, it will roll down your windows....

The reason to try this scenario with the key, is, it overrides what is called the 'pinch' protection in your sunroof....I honestly think your 'shade' just came off it's track.

Here's a link with a schematic to your sunroof and the shade. As you can see there isn't a motor for the shade, just for the sunroof itself.

Glass sunroof. Fits: 2009 Audi A4 | Jim Ellis Audi Parts

Also, there are numerous ways to operate the sunroof switch for different positions....I think it's described in your manual.....
Good luck....

Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear

I might be wrong, but my moonroof shade does not close when I close the moonroof. I have to reach up and close it my self. Are you saying that when you reach up to close it is stuck and won't move? If that is the case I agree with markymarc that is must have come out of it's track.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by markymarc
The Sunshade FUSE is for the automatic REAR window sunshade...

The FRONT sunshade on the sunroof should move with the sunroof, there is no 'separate' motor for the shade. Try holding the key in the door to the lock position for 30 seconds, it will generally close all the windows and sunroof (if they are open). Also, if it's locked, and you hold the key in the door to the unlock position, it will roll down your windows....

The reason to try this scenario with the key, is, it overrides what is called the 'pinch' protection in your sunroof....I honestly think your 'shade' just came off it's track.

Here's a link with a schematic to your sunroof and the shade. As you can see there isn't a motor for the shade, just for the sunroof itself.

Glass sunroof. Fits: 2009 Audi A4 | Jim Ellis Audi Parts

Also, there are numerous ways to operate the sunroof switch for different positions....I think it's described in your manual.....
Good luck....
I'm not sure if the Avant is different than the A4 sedan, but I double checked the owners manual today the sunshade is powered. There is an up and down button on the same rotating **** that controls the sunroof that controls the sunshade. Since the sunroof is in working order, this leads me to believe that there is either a separate motor for the sunshade or it has in fact come off track. Either way, the thing won't budge, even if I try to do it manually. Here are some pics....

Attached Thumbnails Sunshade problem-012.jpg   Sunshade problem-014.jpg   Sunshade problem-015.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 08:31 PM
2nd Gear

I looked through the schematics, and on none of the models for your car, can I find a motor for the sunshade....sorry can't be of further help...most of the ones even on the links I looked at are the ones built into the metal frame and operate with the sunroof themselves...interesting....

Pull up your exact car with VIN or TRIM at:

http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com

and then find the sunroof details under body, interior and systems and see what it shows...

Last edited by markymarc; 05-27-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by markymarc
I looked through the schematics, and on none of the models for your car, can I find a motor for the sunshade....sorry can't be of further help...most of the ones even on the links I looked at are the ones built into the metal frame and operate with the sunroof themselves...interesting....

Pull up your exact car with VIN or TRIM at:

Audi Parts - Authentic OEM Audi Parts direct from Jim Ellis Audi Parts | Jim Ellis Audi Parts

and then find the sunroof details under body, interior and systems and see what it shows...
Thanks for the help markymarc!! I'll give your ideas a shot before I go to the stealership!

Old 05-29-2014, 02:24 PM
2nd Gear

Post back and let us know what happened....I'm curious about that 'automatic' sunshade motor.....since I can't find it anywhere.....

Old 06-19-2017, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

My Sunshade is experiencing the same thing.
It is stuck in the closed position and will not open.
The roof still works, opens/closes/tilts.

When I hit the button to move the shade I only get a click.

Were you (or anyone else) able to fix the issue?
Thanks!

Old 05-06-2018, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

i am also having the same problem on a 2009 A4 Avant. Has anyone had a resolution to this?

Old 01-02-2019, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

The water pump may fail resulting in engine overheating and possible timing belt damage. Overheating and/or timing belt failure can result in very expensive engine repairs.

Quick Reply: Sunshade problem