Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 09:54 PM
1st Gear
Default suspension

ok i've been looking around for suspension for b5 quattro. i was thinking that dealing with the installation might be shitty so i went and talked to a guy at les shwab. there were pretty busy and he just kinda gave me a brief rundown and i didnt quite follow everything he said. i was leaning towards coilovers but have been iffy with the high price. he was explaining another option where, i believe, the shocks and springs are replaced and the rest are left stock like struts, etc. this price was drastically lower (about half) than fully replacing the suspension. are there any drawbacks to this. any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Administrator
Default RE: suspension

if u got with springs and shocks its not height adjustable

Old 07-13-2005, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

yeah i know thats the main perk of coilovers.. but i really have no need to move the suspension up and down. i mean if thats really the main reason to get coilovers is there any other reason to not just go with shocks and springs ?

Old 07-13-2005, 10:32 PM
1st Gear

coilovers are just so much more..but much better

Old 07-13-2005, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

....so.... its about twice the price for coilovers and the only perk is the heighth adjustment ?

Old 07-14-2005, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

if you dont have to worry about snow or anything els like that
lowerd springs and an aftermarket shox will be ok

Old 07-14-2005, 12:03 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: chinky

....so.... its about twice the price for coilovers and the only perk is the heighth adjustment ?
For some people that's pretty important. Especially those who have a few sets of wheels or cars that see a lot of track days. And aside from height adjustment the spring/shock combo always works very well with eachother on a coilover kit. If you don't think you'll need the height adjustment then go for a spring/shock combo.

Steve

Old 07-14-2005, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

ok cool.. thats kinda what i was thinking, thanks. and what would snow have to do with it ?

Old 07-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Administrator

you can also adjust the dampering from soft to hard

Old 07-14-2005, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: PandaXpress

if u got with springs and shocks its not height adjustable
that's not necessarily true anymore. look into grooved bilstein shocks. that's what i installed with neuspeed sport springs. the grooved shocks allow spring perch height adjustment from 1" above stock to 2" below stock. for what it's worth ... i'm lovin' 'em ... for 2/3rds the price of coilovers.

Quick Reply: suspension