Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension, Control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 07:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Suspension, Control arms?

Hey guys, I had a question about the handling of my car. At higher speeds of about 60++, the car seems to be all over the road. The air just seems to grab the car and make it slugglishly move around in the lane. I have to counter it with steering to keep in my lane. If I pass a semi, I get knocked around in my lane. The handling is terrible. My Honda would handle A LOT better so this made me question this. What could be wrong? Car has less than 49k miles on it. Thanks.

-Mike

Old 07-23-2005, 07:18 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Suspension, Control arms?

I'd check your alignment, and get a front end inspection, make sure everything is tight up there.

EDIT: how are your tires worn? Fairly even, or might they be wearing excessivly on the inside edge, outside edge, both outside edges, or just the middle? One edge, inside or outside, is a good indicator of f'd up allignment

Old 07-23-2005, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

Alignment seems fine. The tires are almost new. Should I take it to a shop or a stealership for an estimate?

Old 07-23-2005, 09:55 PM
4th Gear

mine does the same thing. but only behind large trucks and I mean as much as 1/3 mile, or in high wind. also what kind of tires do you have some have been know for following the road, or the lines and bumbs in it. thay can make it do that to.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:26 PM
4th Gear

You can take it to either. If you take it to a stealership, the quote will be twice what it will cost elsewhere, unless you are still under warranty.

Hoe does the car handle on a flat highway? If the road is flat and you let go of the wheel, does it track straight or drift off.

Is the steering tight? Is there slack if you wiggle the wheel while the car is moving? If so, that would indicate worn tie rod ends.

If you slowly (5 mPH) go over speed bumps or curbs, do you hear a clunk? That would also be worn tie rod ends.

Are tires inflated evenly L to Right and do they have the correct pressure?

Old 07-24-2005, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

tie rod ends. mine did the same thing until i replaced them.

Old 07-24-2005, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

If I let go of the steering wheel at high speeds, it rides straight for a bit but it seems like air will snag and after about 10 seconds, it starts to veer off. It's as if there's a hidden sail on my car and when the wind hits it right, it pulls the car furiously. The steering isn't very responsive. There's a lag on the turning when I turn the steering wheel. If I pull the wheel to the left or right, the car will react sluggishly and there will be more body roll than I would expect. I know the car is heavy but it rides like an SUV.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:34 AM
1st Gear

My car had the EXACT same symptoms. I replaced the tie-rod ends and it cleared up the problem. 2 months later, the problem has returned. It's not as bad as it was, but to clear it up, I'll need to replace the control arms.

My suggestion. Replace the upper control arms and the tie-rod ends. That will take care of the problem and you will not have to revisit it.

Old 07-25-2005, 06:10 AM
1st Gear

how much is it generally to replace the control arms? is it a fairly complicated job to DIY?