Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Symphony Radio Code Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Symphony Radio Code Issues

I'm hoping someone can help me. (2001 A4 2.8)

I've read a number of posts regarding entering radio codes when a Bose Symphony has gone into "safe" mode. But, none seem to solve my particular issue.

I had the car in for service, which required the battery be disconnected. The mechanic tried using the code that was on an old service invoice from the dealership, but it didn't work. The radio was then "locked", so I left the car/radio on for 1+ hours to "reset" the radio. I was then able to attempt to reenter the code, which I tried with the same results....no joy then "locked".

I "reset" the radio again, and attempted a third time to enter the code that was on the service slip, as well as a four digit number I found in the trunk (read in another post that sometimes it is in the trunk). Again, no luck.

Note: I've had some work done on the car in the past (no at the dealership) that required the power be disconnected and didn't have this problem.

Is it possible the "safe" mode is permanently set to "locked" or something? I hate to bring it to the dealer to find out the problem is something I could have sorted out myself. I've read a couple of posts suggesting that the car be disconnected from the battery for an extended period of time, or that the radio be pulled and disconnected...both of which are like a "German Reset".

Any help/insight someone could provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:37 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

the "cheapest" thing to do is to buy a new radio. ecs tuning usually has them for about $50. you can also try getting one from a part out with a known code. The only other option is to have a dealer look up the code on their computer. They have to pull the radio to get the "serial" number off the top and will usually end up charging you about $100 for the pleasure.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

Thanks. I was afraid of that.

Have you ever heard of the radio permanently locking itself? Meaning, it won't even accept the correct security code?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 AM

never heard of the radio "permanently" locking itself before. I would guess that if it ever got messed up enough to lose it's code it would default to unlocked.

I was worried about my radio being locked when I was doing some work on it. I did a bunch of research and was prepared to buy a new one. I pulled the radio at one point and it appeared that it was not the factory original but it is OEM. It has never asked for a code even after being off power for over a week so it is possible to have an OEM radio with no code.

are you positive you are entering the code correctly?

Old 05-23-2011, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

Interesting. I may try disconnecting my battery this evening, and letting it be without power for a while (like overnight or so).

Well, I'm positive I'm entering the code I have correctly. Bigger question is whether it is the correct code. As I mentioned, I believe the code to be correct because it came off the service record from the dealership (where the care was purchased).... But, at this point the only thing I'm sure of is my radio is in "safe" mode and won't play. Ha!

Old 05-23-2011, 05:31 PM

I forgot to mention that you might try pulling the radio and checking for a hand written radio code on it somewhere. I seem to recall that some people have found their radio codes written there especially if it is an OEM replacement to the factory original. It sounds like this might be the case if the code that you have from the service record is not working.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 AM
1st Gear

Again, thanks for the help. I've had a heck of a time finding the tools to pull the radio at any local store, but I plan to get it pulled out today. Hopefully the correct code will be on the radio, BUT if not Audi of America told me with the serial number they will look up the code. I didn't even have to beg, push or b*tch, they offered it up.

So, I should be good to go with the serial number off the radio.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

I pulled the radio today, wrote down the AUZ number and called Audi America. I had the security code within 5 minutes. Audi is happy to give you the code with the AUZ number off the radio. The removal keys start at like $6 up to $12 or so.

The process took 60 seconds to pull the radio, 15 seconds to call Audi, and 5 minutes for them to give me the code. Of course, it took me an additional 10 seconds to put the code into the car. All told.... 10 minutes max. Easiest $100 I've ever saved.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:11 AM
1st Gear
Default encouraged

Hi mtwebster

I'm encouraged by your experience - my A3 radio has been 'locked' in safe mode since I had some work done not at an Audi dealership. The battery was disconnected.

However, I have the official code from Audi - and they tried to put it in for us but it wouldn't work. I've had more work done (replaced starter motor) and now it won't let me put in any code. If I disconnect the battery, will it give me another shot at putting the code in?

Audi told me the only other option was to buy a new radio, but this seems insane considering there's nothing wrong with it (other than it's locked).

Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

I believe that by disconnecting the battery you will be "given" a new shot at entering the code. At least that was the case with the radio in my A4.

You may need to pull the radio out and get the code via the serial number. That's when I called Audi. They were more than helpful.

With this said, if you continue to have a problem with entering the correct code, finding a replacement radio at a reasonable price isn't unheard of. Although painful and somewhat ridiculous it is at least not a wildly expensive proposition. I found radios starting around $75.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Symphony Radio Code Issues