Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

test pipe and exhaust DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:33 AM
5th Gear
Default test pipe and exhaust DIY

anyone know a good DIY article for installing a testpipe and exhaust on a b5 a4? or anyone have any personal experience? Richard, i know you do

Old 03-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: test pipe and exhaust DIY

I've done it twice. For the record, it's not fun.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:10 PM

Testpipe link

Old 03-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Site Moderator
Old 03-09-2007, 01:50 PM

Get some PB Blaster, it's a life saver for getting old bolts off. It's not really that hard, just be prepared to spend alot time fiddling with bolts in hard to reach places.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Site Moderator

After actually reading that, I decided that it didn't go into enough depth.

*Disclaimer*I am not responsible if you beak anything or injure yourself*If you aren't comfortable working on your car, dont*
Removal
-Jack up your whole car. This will come in handy when you're putting in and taking out the exhaust pipes. You also will be wriggling around underneath by the tranny. Use jack stands so you don't get yourself crushed.
-Remove the airbox. You need access to the back half ot the turbo and you need to be able to reach the cat/dp bolts.
-Spray the turbo/cat nuts and cat/dp nuts and bolts with liquid wrench or PB blaster
-Using a 3/8" or 22mm wrench/socket, remove the o2 sensors from the cat. I have a big *** 22mm wrench which gives a lot of torque to get the sensors out. After a few turns with a wrench/socket, they should be hand loose.
-Remove the turbo/cat nuts. They're a pain. I have a pic of how I used a ratchet with universal joint on the bottom socket I'll post later.
-The hard part.
Option A: If you still have the stock exhaust, cut the downpipe at the bend and pull the cat and dp up through the engine bay. Sawzalls are great.
Option B: If you don't want to cut it, you'll need an extension long enough to reach the dp/cat nuts from below and someone else to hold a wrench on the nuts/bolts from above. If you're dong this by yourself, wedge the wrench against something in the engine bay, so when you turn the ratchet from below, the wrench will push against something hard. If you're lucky, the bolt head/nut will snap off. So be prepared to really torque on them.
Be very careful since the car is on jack stands.
-Once you get the cat out, you can start taking the exhaust sytem out. The hangers don't slip out nice and easy like you hope they will. To get at them since I reused them, The rubber hangers are mounted to the car via mounting plates. I removed the plates with the exhaust so I could sit comfortably on my garage floor and got at them with a coulpe screwdrivers. Make sure to keep track of what piece goes where.

Install (Yaay!)
-Depending on what exhaust you get (I installed the AWE/Borla and high flow cat), you may or may not be able to connect the downpipe and cat before putting it back into the car. If it's the AWE/Borla, you can not put the downpipe down through the engine bay. The dp section is too long and will hit the floor when you start angling it around. If you have a short dp section (short = It's about as long as the stock dp) try connecting the cat and dp section before putting them in the car. I was anable to install the cat through the bottom since I have a high flow cat and the center section is too wide to get in through the bottom. You may be able to install the cat/dp through the bottom with a test pipe though. (please pm me if you can).
-If you're unable to install the cat and dp while connected, place the dp into position in the bottom, then pull it up as far as possible from the top without rotating it. Install the cat/downpipe nuts & bolts. Make sure you install the gasket and check the cat position beforehand.
-Push the cat into position. Connect the rear o2 sensor. Pay close attention to how many threads there are. 1 thread = 1 rotation. Add 1/2 turn. You need to twist the o2 sensor so that when you install it, so the wires aren't twisted together when you tighten it. This is also the sensor you put a non-fouler on for the no CEL mod. Do not install the front o2 sensor yet. It will get in the way when you're on the next step.
-Install turbo/tp gasket, washers, and nuts. It should be a lot easier than before since the tp doesn't have the extra material.
-Install front o2 sensor. Follow the previos instructions on the rear sensor for the wires and threads.
-Reinstall the airbox and anything else you may have disconnected in the engine bay.
-Get cracking on the rest of your exhaust system. Start from the front of your ride and work toward the rear. Don't tighten any of the pipes until you have them all in the position you want it in.
-Lower your ride off the jacks.
-On the first start up there will be some white smoke coming from the turbo area. This is normal. Remember, you sprayed PB blaster/Liquid wrent on the back of the turbo. It's just burning that off. Your hands also have oil on them, that will burn off also.

Pealse contact me if you have any questions or comments.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:50 PM
5th Gear

ok i've been at this **** all day. everything came unbolted fine, i even installed my dv,the sensors were a bitch, but now im REALLY stuck. i can't unbolt the cat from the exhaust pipe (the one with the flex piece in it, im guessing that's the dp). i've spent like 4 hours trying to get at these f'in bolts and nothins workin. i guess i just need an extension to get at them. im goin out to the store and my friends house to pick up an extension bit and a sawzall. anyone have any experience on this and could give me pointers?? baconbait, thanx for all your help so far, it really came in handy. if it comes down to the sawzall, do i just cut the cat until that **** will fit through?

Old 03-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Site Moderator

Once you cut the downpipe (dp) you should be able to take the cat out from above. All the o2 sensors and turbo to cat nuts are disconnected?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:38 AM
5th Gear

i only have my stock downpipe, none came with the exhaust i bought from badluckaudi, so i cant cut the dp. ya the turbo to cat nuts and sensors are off, both were a beeyotch BTW. im tryin to get at the 3 bolts now with the socket extension now and then ill be back in a little bit

Old 03-10-2007, 01:41 AM
5th Gear

yea those little ******* are a bitch, you can take your wheel off and the inner fender out and it might make it a little easier to get out.. it took me for frigin ever, lol there night even be some of my blood on that testpipe lol jk
ORIGINAL: chaos92287

i only have my stock downpipe, none came with the exhaust i bought from badluckaudi, so i cant cut the dp. ya the turbo to cat nuts and sensors are off, both were a beeyotch BTW. im tryin to get at the 3 bolts now with the socket extension now and then ill be back in a little bit

Quick Reply: test pipe and exhaust DIY