Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there any functional spoilers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:50 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Are there any functional spoilers?

I think our cars have a 50/50 distribution. But I am still anti wing. Nobody puts a wing on their car for performance... they put wings on shortly after 4" mufflers, and as many decals as they can fit.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

I think our cars have a 50/50 distribution. But I am still anti wing. Nobody puts a wing on their car for performance... they put wings on shortly after 4" mufflers, and as many decals as they can fit.

.......but not before the blue washer LEDs

Old 10-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Site Moderator

and Altezza tail lights

Old 10-20-2005, 11:47 PM
2nd Gear

man I think he needs curb feelers too.... that way he knows when to turn the car on the track.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:52 PM
Administrator

^^^^ Ouch!!!

Old 10-21-2005, 01:18 AM
1st Gear

Wings don't really do anything below NASCAR speeds.

Car & Driver did a really excellent bit several years back on the subject of wings and spoilers on cars. They tested a bunch of stock performance coupes with and without their tail-mounted "surface excitement" (an actual Pontiac marketing term). What they found in every case was that the various wings and spoilers actually slowed the car down, minimally, by adding drag but did nothing to increase handling downforce.

They're cosmetic. The little lip spoiler that came with my B7 looks pretty sharp, in my opinion. It adds an accent line to the rear fascia in just the right place. I have no expectation that it's doing anything for performance. For what it's worth, last weekend I ran the car to top end on Interstate 81 in upstate NY and it felt absolutely fabulous at 130+.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:50 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Quartz05

Wings don't really do anything below NASCAR speeds.

Car & Driver did a really excellent bit several years back on the subject of wings and spoilers on cars. They tested a bunch of stock performance coupes with and without their tail-mounted "surface excitement" (an actual Pontiac marketing term). What they found in every case was that the various wings and spoilers actually slowed the car down, minimally, by adding drag but did nothing to increase handling downforce.

They're cosmetic. The little lip spoiler that came with my B7 looks pretty sharp, in my opinion. It adds an accent line to the rear fascia in just the right place. I have no expectation that it's doing anything for performance. For what it's worth, last weekend I ran the car to top end on Interstate 81 in upstate NY and it felt absolutely fabulous at 130+.
You clearly woulda crashed and died without the lip spoiler doing its thing!

Old 10-21-2005, 02:27 AM
Banned

If one allows any rice goin on with their Audis...they should take themselves outside and shoot themselves.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:37 AM
5th Gear

there was a new guy... typea4 or something that joined... was in the welcome forums. He has a yellow a4 with an effin huuuge wing.

I just laugh at honda's ... like this giant wing that is held on with wood screws... lol, how much CAN it do?

Old 10-21-2005, 02:55 AM

haha u guys know there is a good reason to have a wing on a rice rocket, its so when it breaks down u ahve a handle to push it.
hahahahaha

Quick Reply: Are there any functional spoilers?