Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 11:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Throttle Body problems

I've had a ton of codes popping up. The latest diagnosis is the throttle position sensor, which supposedly means it needs a new throttle body. I haven't priced them online yet, but the guys at the shop told me $400. And, I'm not convinced that it's 100% sure that that is what the problem is.

Does anyone know a good source for a throttle body? (1997 1.8t) Or, can these be repaired or recalibrated?

Old 11-06-2004, 01:26 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: Throttle Body problems

yes you can just replace the throttle postion sensor or you can readjust it. I would go the route of readjusting it first to see if the code disappears. If it is similar to the 12v tps I can help you to adjust it.

Old 11-07-2004, 08:18 AM
1st Gear

The guy told me that if you take the TPS off the throttle body, it will never go back together correctly. Now, I'm not sure if that's true. How would I readjust it?

Old 11-08-2004, 02:24 AM
1st Gear

OK, I'd like to at least try the readjustment. Jest, how do you do that? 1997 1.8t Q

Old 11-08-2004, 09:42 AM
6th Gear

Once TB is removed, you'll see there's two screws on either side of the TPS that have an adjustment slot in the TPS mounting/adjustment bracket. All you need do is loosen those two screws and rotate the pastic housing full-sweep of it's slot travel several times to free everything up. When it returns freely under its own power without hanging up from counter-clockwise turning against the bracket travel stops you're ready to adjust.

Adjustment procedure:

While facing the TPS square on from the side of the TB move the TPS plastic body as far as you can counter-clockwise. You'll notice the throttle butterflies open a small amount. At this point let the TPS return to where it stops on it's own. While keeping a steady pressure on it at that point, re-tighten the two Phillips screws. The secret is to keep enough counter-clockwise pressure on it to to allow it not to move but not enough to open the butterflies at all.

When you feel that resistence that starts to open the butterflies, STOP there and retighten the TPS housing right at that spot. It's not a vague or ambiguous feel... it's a very positive go-no-go when you're there, you'll know it. Play with it awhile while it's out, in your hands and before you start to adjust it. Develop a feel and understanding of what's happening while you do this. Once you can roatate the TPS body to that first instant of stop/resistence before opening the butterflies is exactly where you want to tighten the TPS back up.

I know it all sounds a little complicated here but you'll be amazed how easy and clear it all becomes once you try it.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info Jest. Now, I hope that this method applies to the 1.8T as well as your 12v throttle body. I won't be able to get to it until this weekend. Soooooo tired of these codes and $500 quotes to replace a part that must cost Audi $10 to make!!!

Old 11-10-2004, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

Have you tried cleaning it out first? I removed the whole throttle body on mine and found loads of crap had built up in there, this had made my idle a bit funny, but it might affect the TPS to, i used carb cleaner and washed it all out, good as new now.

Old 11-11-2004, 03:16 AM
6th Gear

gregp1962, do you have a TB gasket ready? The old one may not pull off in one piece.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:31 AM
4th Gear

Do not use carb cleaner in a TB. Only use TB cleaner

Old 11-13-2004, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

Jest, I can tell from your description that we don't have the same throttle body. I guess I'll have to buy a new one and hope that's really the problem.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body problems