Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip tranny fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:01 AM
Site Moderator
Default Tip tranny fluid change

For anyone that has had their fluid changed, did you have the filter replaced when you did it/had it done?? Or did you just drain and fill?? VW says its a lifetime fluid which i know some sasy is BS after theve seen the color of theirs, but is changing the filter necessary with 75kmiles, and i dunno if its ever been done.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:04 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Tip tranny fluid change

Depending on the fluid and how it looks get the filter. When i had my old tranny it was pure sluge and shavings.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:15 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: tip5

Depending on the fluid and how it looks get the filter. When i had my old tranny it was pure sluge and shavings.
Arent those shavings supposed to stay in there to maintain "buffer" between the gears, and if they get taken out things get too lose over time? Thats just what ive heard.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:37 AM
2nd Gear

yeah after a certain amount of miles if it gets that that point your not suppose to change the fluid because the trans has built a tollerance to the thicker fluid but the shavings in your transmission isnt suppose to be like that its just an eventual thing over time.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:41 AM
4th Gear

I didn't drop mine. I just drained out 2-3L and put in some fresh. I repeat this every 30K. I haven't dropped the pan.

No, the reason that shops say that they wont "change the fluid with shavings" is that they know that the tranny is on the way out, and you will blame that shop for doing something wrong when it breaks 2 months later.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Site Moderator

Just drain and replace. Thats all you need.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: brrman

Thanks.. So you think at 74k miles i should notice a difference?

Old 01-31-2006, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

i removed the pan and replaced the filter on mine before i installed the PES T-28 kit.

refilled with 5 liters of fluid and it improved my cold weather and shift performance.

i agree that higher mileage transmissions should just drain and fill

Old 01-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

ORIGINAL: brrman

Thanks.. So you think at 74k miles i should notice a difference?
I think I did mine at 85K and I noticed a slight difference, nothing major though.
But that car was an auto, not sure what you have. Manuals should have a larger degree of noticable difference.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

Im assuming this is wrt auto xmission.
there are mixed opinions with auto gearboxes and fluid changes.
First try this - pull the tranny dipstick, check level and smell the fluid. If it stinks really bad you should change fluid and filter and be concerned of a problem. The smell is the clutch material used in the auto gearbox.
The other opinion is, if it doesnt smell, dont change. Ive heard of leaving the fluid alone, because this clutch material is suspended in the fluid and it "helps" when it's circulating.
Im not an automatic transmission technician or expert and haven't dealt with one for some time. But something to consider, if you care to of course!

Quick Reply: Tip tranny fluid change