Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip-Tronic Tranny Help..

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Tip-Tronic Tranny Help..

OK so to be short and sweet.. My 01, 1.8t quattro is leaking fluid everywhere. They took a look at it and they think its a front main seal and some internals. They quoted me $1700 including labor for a rebuild. What do you guys think of this?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Tip-Tronic Tranny Help..

leaking fluid? must be taking a bathroom break lol. it's probably ur valve cover gasket. but i guess the front main seal are all the gaskets on the engine. valve cover, crank and some others idk the names of. if u got time do it urself. but i guess 1700 isn't too bad. maybe 1500. or see if they'll do it if u buy the parts

Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Site Moderator

WTF? Front main, on the transmission? Who the hell told you they could re-build a tip tronic transmission there is only a hand full of people in the states that are qualified to do that.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

A place called speed-tech Here in columbus, Ga.. I dont know i mean it drives fine just has a bad leak somwhere, where the engine and transmission meet.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Site Moderator

Is it oil or transmission fluid, It could either be a torque converter for the transmission or a rear main.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:42 PM
1st Gear

its tranny fluid as my oil levels are where they should be and havent droped, i drove it today just to check to see what it could be and its starting to whine in 1st...

and i found this about the shop.. Im going to get a 2nd opinon.. if not VW dealer here i come.. closest audi dealership is like 150 miles away

a Yahoo! Local User 08/13/2007 [/align] [blockquote]These guys do not know what they are doing.....: Do not take your vehicle here. I was told my car's tranmission was shot, and that it was going to cost me $1100 to get it fixed. I decided to take it somewhere else for a second opinion, and and it was not the transmission, it was two simple belts that were broken, and it cost me $150. The guys that work there are unproffessional, never ever called me back...and I had to call them almost everyday to see if they had even looked at it. Take my advice, and do not ever take your vehicle here.[/blockquote]

Old 10-03-2007, 11:42 PM
5th Gear

oops sry for wrong info. i've nvr heard of anybody rebuilding an auto tranny. i guess just rub some dirt on it and walk it off lol. dat sux man. maybe a replacement is a cheaper and easier job?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:47 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah its probably a transmission pan gasket or something like that. There is only about 18-20 techs in the country certified to re-build audi automatic transmissions, me being one of them.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:49 PM
5th Gear

hey audi tech can i have ur number so i can call u for any help? lol. im not effing wid u. im serious. im all the way on the other coast and most people in my area are clueless about audi's

Old 10-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Site Moderator

Just PM me, ive given my number out before and it bit me in the *** a couple of times now. If something gets hectic i'll PM you my number.

Quick Reply: Tip-Tronic Tranny Help..