Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIRE recommendation PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 06:26 PM
1st Gear
Default TIRE recommendation PLEASE

98.5 A4 2.8 Q - 125K miles

I need to replace tires and looking for recommendations. I would replace with the same that I have now - Continental ContiTouring Contacts CH95 205/55 R16. I usually get 39-43K on them - this is my 3rd set. But I really don't like them in the snow - I live in PA where it doesn't snow THAT much, but when it does, I don't feel these CH95s doing good justice to my Quattro. Also I know these tires don't get really great reviews, so want to risk it and try something else. Must not be outrageously expensive - something in the same price range or slightly above.

My local tire guy recommneded either same CH95 or Goodyear RS-A. I asked about Bridgestones Touring LS-H - but he didn't recommend them for some unknown reason. The Consumer Reports recommends Falken - but they have only 30K warranty in my tire size.

Any help is appreciated - I really need to replace them this/next week ![:'(]
Any other source of info ? (I've been to tirerack.com - their customer reviews drive me nuts, as they are all over the place)

Old 09-21-2005, 06:30 PM
dan
2nd Gear
Default RE: tire recommendation please

We've always had Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons. They look nice and perform well in the PA weather.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:34 PM
3rd Gear

You dont want all-seasons . I have never liked them .. they are so half-assed.
Get summer performance tires , and some snows

Old 09-21-2005, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Dave666

You dont want all-seasons . I have never liked them .. they are so half-assed.
Get summer performance tires , and some snows
That would be ideal, of course, but let's just say, this is not an option for me. I am lloking at H-Rated [High?] Performance All Season/Grand Touring category I think.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:19 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: TIRE recommendation PLEASE

i was going to ask the same thing. i've been looking at the pirelli p zero nero m+s and the toyo proxis 4. don't know if anyone here has experience with either, but for all season, these two seem to be the best.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:42 PM
18T
4th Gear

Get the ones i have!! they are AMAZING!!!!!!!!! no noise, superb cornering and traction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are ultra performance AS.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:15 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: 18T

Get the ones i have!! they are AMAZING!!!!!!!!! no noise, superb cornering and traction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are ultra performance AS.
I always recommend those tires...

but the pirelli M+S's beat the snot out of the proxes 4... if you go that route.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:47 PM
2nd Gear

so you sayin the a/s are better than the pirelli and toyo? less noise? more traction? what led you to that decision over the others?

Old 09-21-2005, 09:52 PM
18T
4th Gear

well they were 99$ [8D]each and i read all great reviews! im very happy with them! they look great too!

another thing that catches my attention everyday is that when i turn on pavement at lower speeds i can hear the tires stick to it, its like they got some sticky **** on them. its really cool! i cant wait till the winter!!

I WILL buy these tires again! they are spectacular!

Old 09-21-2005, 09:56 PM
4th Gear

Is it pretty much always true that low profile/performance tires on 18s will be more noisy than either 16s or 17s?

I know that there are other factors like tire hardness/softness, tread design, etc - but all of those factors being equal will the tires on larger wheels always make more noise than higher profile tires?

Quick Reply: TIRE recommendation PLEASE