Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny feels a little funny

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear
Default Tranny feels a little funny

Well I have been noticing for a little while that my transmission is a little funny. First off it seems like it is a little hesitant almost. When accelerating, It feels like it is going to go into gear but then winds out a little farther and then shifts. When I am slowing down I can actually feel the car downshift and slow the car down. I think auto transmissions are supposed to be smoother than this. That doesn't feel so smooth. And lastly, sometimes when I let off the accelerator real quick the car seems to almost "jolt". Like the transmission is coming out of gear really hard or something. I would love to think that all I need is my transmission fluid refilled or flushed, I hope the tranny isn't taking a dump. If you guys can help me with this it would be very much appreciated.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Tranny feels a little funny

Fluid and filter time. Tips are known for the 30 mph downshift thump when coming to a stop, and also the 2-1 shift when in tip mode and coming to a stop. When i changed my fluid/filter it helped those things out a lot Change fluid/filter asap. I know what you are talking about "letting off the gas/jolt" My fluid / filter took care of that. If your fluid has never been changed, its probably all burned up and your filter is probably pretty sludged up along with the pan. Search on my thread "my tip had diarhea"- (something like that) for useful info and check these links out:
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/atfchange/

My old fluid was BLACK and broken down.. Almost felt like water. Only use the oem pentosin stuff btw. Its not red like most auto tranny's take, looks like honey. I just did my fluid/filter at 84k miles. I think i remember you have low miles like in the 50k's? Id still do it. Mine probably should have been done then. Surprisingly i had no filings on the magnents in my pan, hopefuly you dont either. I did though have sludge caked on. You can get a good idea of what condition your tranny is in by looking in the pan (filings/sludge.) Lots of filings on the magnents = not good news for your tq converter.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear

Lol, I knew that I would get a prompt good answer from you bro!

I don't really feel competent enough yet to change it myself yet. And I don't have jackstands or anything like that either. So I am probably going to have to take it to the stealership unfortunately. Or maybe another independent mechanic around here that is VERY good with European and other foreign vehicles.Hopefully that is ALL the problem is.

Yeah my car has like 54,5xx miles on it. Btw, is there a way to tell if my car has more miles on it than what the odometer says? My carfax report says that my odometer may or may not have been broken in the past. But it was a stolen vehicle and I think they put that on there because they couldn't verify for sure if the miles that were on it were accurate or not. My uncle was looking under my hood this weekend and he says that there looks like there is a lot of wear on one of the front fan things were the belt turns it. Sorry if that sounded retarded I worked an all night shift last night and I don't usually do that so my schedule is all out of whack and I am out of it! [8D]

Old 01-10-2007, 01:24 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: alias747

Lol, I knew that I would get a prompt good answer from you bro!

I don't really feel competent enough yet to change it myself yet. And I don't have jackstands or anything like that either. So I am probably going to have to take it to the stealership unfortunately. Or maybe another independent mechanic around here that is VERY good with European and other foreign vehicles.Hopefully that is ALL the problem is.

Yeah my car has like 54,5xx miles on it. Btw, is there a way to tell if my car has more miles on it than what the odometer says? My carfax report says that my odometer may or may not have been broken in the past. But it was a stolen vehicle and I think they put that on there because they couldn't verify for sure if the miles that were on it were accurate or not. My uncle was looking under my hood this weekend and he says that there looks like there is a lot of wear on one of the front fan things were the belt turns it. Sorry if that sounded retarded I worked an all night shift last night and I don't usually do that so my schedule is all out of whack and I am out of it! [8D]
dont know about a way to check mileage other than odoemeter. Try to get the parts for the tranny service yourself and take them to your local euro mechanic. Chances are you can get them cheaper than he can. Go to www.purems.com for the filter and get 8 qts of fluid from them too. They have the best prices on em. The way you are describing how your tranny shifts, id do it asap and go easy on it in the meantime.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 AM
2nd Gear

So I should pick up this

http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1436

and this

http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1435

Correct?

How many quarts are those bottles?

Thanks dude!

Old 01-10-2007, 02:31 AM
Site Moderator

yes

and

yes

and one of those bottles = 1 qt/litre so youll need 8 bottles. The tip tranny holds 10 qts. and the most youll be able to get out is about 7.5qts cuz some is in the tq. converter. Make sure you give your euro mechanic those DIY articles. I would seriously print them out and make sure he reads them over first. The fluid temp does matter like it says in the article. Some people ignore it. Some people are idiots.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:38 AM
2nd Gear

Holy crap, I had no idea that I would need 100 bucks in liquid alone! I am too poor to do this right now.... I am bummed.... Gotta fill the tank real soon too....[]

Old 01-10-2007, 03:14 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: alias747

Holy crap, I had no idea that I would need 100 bucks in liquid alone! I am too poor to do this right now.... I am bummed.... Gotta fill the tank real soon too....[]
ya the fluid aint cheap. dont put it off for too long or it could end up costing you a lot more in the long run.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:58 AM
3rd Gear

lol, good quality post conversation.... and ya dude you really dont wanna wait to get that done if your tranny is actin the way it is... Get a $500 loan and fill your tranny with new fluid and get a goody on the sideha its like $12/mth, but im sure you would have it payed off way sooner than the original loan time.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:04 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: AteUrV8

lol, good quality post conversation.... and ya dude you really dont wanna wait to get that done if your tranny is actin the way it is... Get a $500 loan and fill your tranny with new fluid and get a goody on the sideha its like $12/mth, but im sure you would have it payed off way sooner than the original loan time.
Lol I don't want to do that! I already have the car payment every month. I will be able to afford it pretty soon. I just need to sell a few things that I have been meaning to sell and then get my damn pay check! [:@]

Quick Reply: Tranny feels a little funny