Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TROUBLE WITH MY A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:39 AM
1st Gear
Default TROUBLE WITH MY A4

Well my 1997 Audi A4 1.8T AWD starts but then shuts off as soon as i let go of the key and stop rev'ing the engine. If i hold down the gas it'll stay on but it won't do much cause as soon as i let go it shuts off. I'm clueless i've just change the sparks, and the battery and i'm pretty sure the alternators fine. But before i change the sparks and battery i was jumping the car with a mobile battery charger. I'm afraid that could have scrambled or shorted the computer. The car had to be jumped at least 100 times before i changed everything. Anyone have any ideas whats wrong?

Old 08-07-2006, 11:22 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: TROUBLE WITH MY A4

No clue. You could just need a throttle body adjustment. Turn the car to the on position without touching the gas, and don't start it. Leave the car in the on position for 5 minutes and then turn it off and try to restart. If that doesn't help, have the car scaned for codes and post them here.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

I'm sort of a newbie. How would i scan the car for codes? What do I need to do that? and does it sounds electrical to you or could it be my alternator?

Old 08-07-2006, 04:02 PM
2nd Gear

If it was the alternator then ur battery would be dead or close to it and prob wouldnt have enough charge left to start the car up. so i doubt thats the problem. Do as david said and if that doesnt work scan for codes. u can get it scaned at autozone for free or find someone with a Vag-COm

Old 08-07-2006, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

My 02 A4 Q is in the shop as we speak with the same symptom. Car fires but then dies immediately. So far they've replaced the fuel pump and a few wires that looked bad, swapped out the ecu, and checked the throttle body. Still stalling. Currently they are ordering a new wiring harness in hopes that will solve the problem. I know this doesn't really help diagnose your problem but at least you have my deepest sympothies. I'll let you know what it was when my car gets fixed.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys you've been great. Right now i'm having my mechanic give me an estimate on it. I will try doing the throttle body reset tommorow morning. Worst comes to worst I'll get the codes and post'em. Postah let me know how it goes with your car and I'll let you know what happens with mines. My first thoughts were that it was a clogged fuel injector you may want to check that out. Also Postah does your car stay on if you hold the gas but have eratic rpms?

Old 08-08-2006, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

We were unable to keep the car running. Even while pressing on the accelerator, it would still stall.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

I'm taking it to an audi dealership 2day cuz my mechanic has no idea wats wrong with it i'll keep u posted.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:28 PM
4th Gear

Bring some KY jelly with you......they'll charge you extra for that.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!......its the throttle body. Its not shutting and opening right so i'm not getting a good mixture of fuel and air. Postah you may want to suggest that to your mechanic.

P.S.

Can some one give me directions on how to replace the throttle body on a 1997 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro???? Audi tried to charge me $580 in labor so i'd rather go it alone.

Quick Reply: TROUBLE WITH MY A4