Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Default Turbo Issue

So today I was driving, and I noticed my turbo wasn't spooling up. Especially when you're cruising at about 3000 rpm in 2nd gear then gun it, you can usually feel the turbo kick in and kinda puts you in your seat a bit. For some reason that wasn't happening. Then after about 30 mins it randomly started working again..?? Wierd. No CEL or anything either, I'm hoping it was just a fluke thing. Any ideas on what happened?

Old 03-13-2006, 08:16 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Turbo Issue

how man ymiles you got ?

time is coming for a turbo upgrade....

Old 03-13-2006, 08:17 PM
3rd Gear

how many miles on the turbie? take off ur turbo intake pipe and wiggle the turbine back and forth to see how much shaft play you have.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:37 PM

89000k on it. did this happen to you guys?

Old 03-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: kaklexicon

So today I was driving, and I noticed my turbo wasn't spooling up. Especially when you're cruising at about 3000 rpm in 2nd gear then gun it, you can usually feel the turbo kick in and kinda puts you in your seat a bit. For some reason that wasn't happening. Then after about 30 mins it randomly started working again..?? Wierd. No CEL or anything either, I'm hoping it was just a fluke thing. Any ideas on what happened?
I noticed over the weekend that if I go WOT up to redline ill go into closed loop mode with my new n75 race every now and then. I normally see 17-20psi, which i can do at any speed/rpm with no problems as long as its not at red line with WOT because it will spike a little to 23 psi. Once i restart the engine its back to normal. Not a problem cuz i hardly ever go up to red line in any gear, all the power is down low with the k03 so it doesnt bother me at all. Get a boost gauge man, also get your car to an autozone or whoever can scan your car for codes. Oh and how does a non-chipped a4 "put you in your seat"? Did the n75 make that big of a difference for you?? Or was it your intake??

Old 03-13-2006, 11:12 PM
2nd Gear

Get the codes pulled. If it's not a constant problem, I don't think you have a major problem.

If you are still having this problem in a couple of weeks, make sure you go to the DVAG GTG at Nockamixon State Park. A bunch of the Philly guys are going. Someone can scan your car and check the rest then.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:18 PM
2nd Gear

onepoint8tee, have you read this thread about throttle cut issues on the early DBW cars?
Throttle Closing
Do you think that is what is happening to your car?

Old 03-13-2006, 11:26 PM
1st Gear

I belive I've had similar problem as you (and few others):

Morning - boosts like a champ
Drive to work, stop to get coffee - 1/2 of boost
Drive a little more - boost is back
Sometimes 1/2 boost in very slow/dead traffic, then back to normal

No CEL, no codes... I've looked into the the shaft, waste gate actuator, replaced couple of vac-lines, new DV, still nothing. Traced it back to N75: New N75 = ran great for about a week, then back to the same 1/2 boost in the sutuations above... My solution - "Forge" MBC, carfeuly tuned to the same max boost as stock. Two months in running and absolutely no issues. Best $34 I've ever spent. Not sure if it makes any difference, I have 98.5 AEB.

D

Old 03-13-2006, 11:33 PM
2nd Gear

Before you replace the N75 check the wires around the connector. They commonly break at the connector. If you do need an N75 let me know. I have one in the garage that I don't need.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:49 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: dafrazi

onepoint8tee, have you read this thread about throttle cut issues on the early DBW cars?
Throttle Closing
Do you think that is what is happening to your car?
It seems people with the k04 are the ones having that close TB issue.. I dont know why the k03 wouldnt do it if its over boosting, but i havent experienced anything other than what feels like closed loop where the boost is cut. I have gone into closed loop before i had the n75 race valve, and max boost would be about 5-7psi.. When i went into closed loop with the n75 race max boost was 10 psi. Ill just have fun with it until i get a k04 and then if it still gives me problems ill just hook up a mbc or stock n75... I still need to read up on this stuff more. Took a drive tonight though, and did all kinds of WOT at different speeds and rpms.. I kept rpms under 5500 rpm's and had no problems and found that shifting at 5200 rpm's is ideal (thats boosting over 20psi too.)-15psi with the n75 race feels so much better than 15 psi with stock n75 though.. I think thats pretty safe... But when it does hit 20 psi in 2nd gear goin about 25/30 mph its real nice... My 25-60mph time seems crazy fast.. But then again ive been in arifs car, and i know what crazy fast REALLY is. Sorry for jacking the thread..

Quick Reply: Turbo Issue