Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration pls give me some suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 03:35 PM
fed
1st Gear
Default vibration pls give me some suggestions

Hi guys. I have a 2006 A4 quatro 2.0. I have noticed that the car vibrates once in a while, so I brought it to the dealer and the service man told me that it is becuase of the snow that collects under the wheel wells. Today another winter storm that hit us here in Toronto, the car was vibrating like crazy again. I mean I have owened a nissan sentra, suzuki esteem, pontiac vibe, honda civic, and I am driving for the past 13 years in the Canadian winters with these cheap cars, I've never came accross to any of this vibration just because of snow. Could it be my A4 has 17's with normal manufacturer tires? May be I need 16' for winter with winter tires on. And is this normal?

Old 12-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Default RE: vibration pls give me some suggestions

Is the vibration a motor induced vibration, maybe a fan or somethin goin on that you just are overly aware of? Is it suspension or maybe warped rotors? Does the car pull to one side during acceleration,braking or cruising?You can feel the diffrence. Also make sure your tires are properly inflated and the 2 front tires wear is even as its kinda common especially on German cars which run softer,faster wearing tires and have a bit more negative camber then their Jap econobox counter parts to have the insides wear out while the outside looks mint. This could also cause highspeed vibes. Check those 2 simple things first tire condition and pressure.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:21 PM
fed
1st Gear

hi Bob, Thanks for the reply.

The guy at the dealer didn't mention these things to me. He said that it could be that the tires needs to be alligned. The car doesn't pull to the side during acceleration at all, as soon as I reach 80km/h it vibrates, the tires are properly inflated I check them weekly to get better gas milage. Also the guy at the dealer told me that to knock off the debree from the wheel wells, and he said that it happens to him all the time during snow storm. It is true that it only happened durring snow storms for me as well. If these cars are built this way I am not going to keep this car.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Somethin don't seem right about that statement your mechanic made. I was whippin my Audi 2 days ago in the snow and no vibrations or odd feel. It's been in the 20's since then here in NY and ice is coatin everything and no bad vibes. Are they not fixing it cause its under warrenty maybe? Get a second opnion ,but first check the tire for wear. Turn wheel full lock one side get out look at entire width of tire, repeat with other side.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:55 PM
fed
1st Gear

ww

Old 12-17-2007, 04:59 PM
fed
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: fed

ORIGINAL: bob12312357

Somethin don't seem right about that statement your mechanic made. I was whippin my Audi 2 days ago in the snow and no vibrations or odd feel. It's been in the 20's since then here in NY and ice is coatin everything and no bad vibes. Are they not fixing it cause its under warrenty maybe? Get a second opnion ,but first check the tire for wear. Turn wheel full lock one side get out look at entire width of tire, repeat with other side.
Last time I checked my tires were fine a month ago. I will check them again and then go to a different dealer. This current dealer sucks by the way. I didd't notice this last winter, its just this winter it vibs. So it is not normal to have vibs specially on audis. I don't know what that guy from audi smoked that day...

Thanks again...

Old 12-17-2007, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear

Ya I think he's feedin ya some BS cause I've had my A4 thru two winters now and I've never had a vibration due to snow in the wheel wells. Btw, we had a record snowfall winter last year.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 PM
fed
1st Gear

Ok I got a second openion from the 2nd dealer. It was similar answer but at least they told me how to get rid of it. Now let me tell you what it is all about, I am not sure if this is on all As buton allA4s the snow gets in to the wheel where inside the rim, then the weather gets really cold like -20 and that snow gets really hard in the rim which forms in to an iceand when you take the car on the highway the wheel wobblesas soon as you reach90km/h which makes the car vibrate. I am up north here in Toronto and it really gets cold, we have days that will feel like -40s. I just want you guys who live southern North America with A4s to know that if you guys get to drive up here north with the real cold weather, you guys will experience it according to the audi guy. The solution is to powerwash your wheels to knock off the ice that was build in the rims. And he said that this is how A4s are been designed, also it might be a lighter vibration with 16s snow tires because of the size.I have driven so many vehicles for the past 13 years, and I have never heard such a thing. Its true and sad.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:28 PM

maybe its your snub mount? when i was tired of vibration on my car i looked at mine and that thing was destroyed, i changed it and now its much better. So what i think happens to you is when cold strikes and snow gets in there, it may make that snub really hard and that's where vibration maybe coming from.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:15 PM
fed
1st Gear

BOPOH is your car still getting any vibration when it snows? I can see the passanger seat rumble when it is vibrating, its that bad. Where is the snub mount located, is it somewehere at the back close to the exhaust? And how can I tell it is damaged? Can I tell right away it is damanged or do I need to look for clues? And how much will it cost for that to be replaced? which I don't care because I still have the warrenty.