Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WAA HOO!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Site Moderator
Default WAA HOO!

I got my ECS timing belt kit and APR snub mount today!!!!!!!! It only took them 1 day to get it here!!!!! I placed all the new parts out on the table and was trying to explain to my wife what it all does. I have to admit, its deffinately not $300+ of materials, but its better than the alternative ($2500+ for a new head/valves.) I'll do it all this Saturday. I have about 3 writeups for the instructions, but no shop manual. This will be the first time I do a job without the trusty haines or chiltons. Any last minute tips that arent normaly read would be helpful. Anyone think that shaving the snub with a razor would be easier than trying to sand it down with a dremel? I know it will need to be done.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:32 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: WAA HOO!

why do you need to mess with the snub. you'll have the bumper off anyway.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Site Moderator

Ive heard that the snub needs to be shaved on the sides to fit/seat best, otherwise it will create vibrations. Im about 100% sure on this.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:41 PM
Administrator

taking the bumper off is a ten minute process.. snub is really easy if you get the bumper out of the way.. try it at first without shaving it... do a "Review" on it.. let us know if its too much vibration for it.. take bumper back off shave it.. then do another review and see if it was worth it to shave it.. etc etc etc..

Old 09-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: flyboy

why do you need to mess with the snub. you'll have the bumper off anyway.
This is a quote from APR's installation instructions:

"Due to changes in the motor mount housing throughout production of the vehicle the new APR motor mount may need to be shaved slightly to reduce wibration felt in the cockpit."

Old 09-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Redgoat

taking the bumper off is a ten minute process.. snub is really easy if you get the bumper out of the way.. try it at first without shaving it... do a "Review" on it.. let us know if its too much vibration for it.. take bumper back off shave it.. then do another review and see if it was worth it to shave it.. etc etc etc..
Sweet dude.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:20 AM
3rd Gear

If you've never taken the bumper off it will take you a long time, after that you'll be able to do it in 10 min. DO NOT forget to crank over the motor by hand and make sure your marks line up. I didnt do this and was off by a tooth so I had to do everything again. Have fun and have case of beer handy!

Old 09-15-2005, 12:22 AM
1st Gear

can somone tell me what a snub is

Old 09-15-2005, 12:25 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: TomRitt

If you've never taken the bumper off it will take you a long time, after that you'll be able to do it in 10 min. DO NOT forget to crank over the motor by hand and make sure your marks line up. I didnt do this and was off by a tooth so I had to do everything again. Have fun and have case of beer handy!
Well Ive read the write ups on how to do it so many times, it probably wont take me too long. I am mechanicaly inclined. Do I need to crank the motor using a socket wrench on the lower crankshaft sprocket? Clockwise? Thats how I understand it.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:26 AM
Site Moderator

not "sprocket" i mean pulley