Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird noise/vibration after going over 60mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 01:18 AM
1st Gear
Default weird noise/vibration after going over 60mph

I recently bought an 98 A4 2.8l and i believe i have a rear wheel bearing problem. At first i thought my tires could just be off balanced so i went to get that done but no luck. The nosie/vibration actualy went away for a few days after the balance, but then it came back. I believe the issue is at the rear right wheel, because the sound/vibration is greatest at that side of the car at high speeds. Is there some sort of test i can do to make sure its really the wheel bearing and maybe even identify wheel wheel has the problem????

Today i went to my local audi dealer to ask them how much it would cost for me to get that taken care of and they told me it would cost $89 for the wheel bearing and about $450 to $500 for the job. I don't have that kind of money laying around since i just bought the car, so i was wonderin if anyone could give me some help in identifying if this is actually the problem and second maybe some advice on how to go upon fixing it.

I read previous post that says you need a wheel bearing press inorder to really do the job, i went around looking for one on ebay and no luck. I was wondering if anyone can link me to such a device. I'm interested in getting one, especially since wheel bearing problems is a common thing for a4's. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Old 10-29-2006, 10:46 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: weird noise/vibration after going over 60mph

Rotate the tire to the front. If the noise goes to the front, then it is a bad tire. If the noise stays in the back, then it is more likely a wheel bearing.

At an independent mechanic, labor should be 100 dollars and the part is 50 dollars over the net. I just had mine done for 100

Have someone sit in the back seat with the rear seat backs down so they can crawl into the trunk and listen to help locate the noise