Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes the A4 a Luxury car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:43 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: What makes the A4 a Luxury car?

not my point at all. i'm talking trim level of the car, not platform basing. other luxury companies simply don't actually offer their cars in base trim. that's why you think of leather seats and memory seating as staples of luxury. if he had actually found any other co's base model, like the is250 as the stated base model w/out their mandated option packages, he'd be asking the same q. and again, driving a non-luxury car of the same class now will make all the little things apparent. tho maybe he's like my brother and likes manual windows, locks, etc.
ORIGINAL: Wildbill

ORIGINAL: aikibil

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html

the difference is audi actually sells a base model. you can't find a lexus is w/out a sunroof and leather, which means one of these packages. if lexus actually sold a car base, you'd be on their site asking, what makes it luxury? theres no sunroof or leather? that's why you got an audi w/the history it has for hte price you paid. the luxury you paid for is in the quality of the parts and options you bought. drive a similarly equipted civc, and then come back to this thread.
If you want a base model you would get a toyota. If you want a base model Audi you would go with a VW. Also VWs are built in Mexico where as Audis are imported from Germany. I don't know how much difference it makes but you will pay more costs for having it built in Germany rather than Mexico.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

not my point at all. i'm talking trim level of the car, not platform basing. other luxury companies simply don't actually offer their cars in base trim. that's why you think of leather seats and memory seating as staples of luxury. if he had actually found any other co's base model, like the is250 as the stated base model w/out their mandated option packages, he'd be asking the same q. and again, driving a non-luxury car of the same class now will make all the little things apparent. tho maybe he's like my brother and likes manual windows, locks, etc.
ORIGINAL: Wildbill

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html

the difference is audi actually sells a base model. you can't find a lexus is w/out a sunroof and leather, which means one of these packages. if lexus actually sold a car base, you'd be on their site asking, what makes it luxury? theres no sunroof or leather? that's why you got an audi w/the history it has for hte price you paid. the luxury you paid for is in the quality of the parts and options you bought. drive a similarly equipted civc, and then come back to this thread.
If you want a base model you would get a toyota. If you want a base model Audi you would go with a VW. Also VWs are built in Mexico where as Audis are imported from Germany. I don't know how much difference it makes but you will pay more costs for having it built in Germany rather than Mexico.
ah ok, i see what your saying.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:50 AM
3rd Gear

Well, other makers do make base models. I don't know if they're less common than a base Audi, but, for example, there are a lot of those little, funny looking Mercedes coupes with cloth seats. But you're right, those models are at least rare enough that we have certain things in mind when it comes to luxury. Makers produce those cars mostly for people who plan on doing major overhauls of the car and wouldn't be keeping the seats, Bose stereo, etc anyway.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

We need to compare apples to apples! Cars in the same class! the Acura TSX, BMW 325, MB C class, Lexus IS all of whome these are standard features all base models! Now I know the BMW and MB don't come with leather standard but they do have letherette. I got this one for below trade in vallue on NADA so it was a pretty good deal! I was a auto broker for 3 years so I sold every make every model and have driven them all!

Now I just came out of a Lexus G300 and will tell you my A4 has a much nicer ride to it. It is so smooth! I love that aspect of the car! I am in now way hating on the Audi as it is a great car! Was just wondering what makes it a Luxury car to you? Not wondering what I should have could of would have got or even compairing it to different makes! What about your car do you feel makes it a luxury car besides the features I have listed!

Old 10-16-2007, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

Before I decided on the Audi, I test drove several cars:

The Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Loaded...Drove nice, nice electornics, too much torque steer though (Almost got the Altima Coupe, but decided not to pay 31,000 for a 20,000 car.
The Acura TSX, TL and TL TypeS...Very nice cars. I wasn't in love with the dash set up (still had a tape deck???) The TypeS was very fast, but once again, I didn't like the Torque steer during accelerations.
The Subaru Legacy GT Spec B...Super fast, AWD, but it felt like it was going to fall apart when I took some hard turns.

Then I tested the A4. I test drove it twice actually. I drove an Automatic, which i did not like at all and a 6M, which I loved. The Audi felt more solid than all of the cars. The Quattro is great. The interior is beautiful. Most of all, it was the quietest car on the highway compared to all the others. It drives great. There is power at all levels of speed. Even at 80, you can drop it into 3rd or 4th and get to 100 real fast. The turbo is a great feature. I can't wait until I get my upgrades!

Old 10-16-2007, 01:16 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: B7QUARTZ2.0T6M

Before I decided on the Audi, I test drove several cars:

The Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Loaded...Drove nice, nice electornics, too much torque steer though (Almost got the Altima Coupe, but decided not to pay 31,000 for a 20,000 car.
The Acura TSX, TL and TL TypeS...Very nice cars. I wasn't in love with the dash set up (still had a tape deck???) The TypeS was very fast, but once again, I didn't like the Torque steer during accelerations.
The Subaru Legacy GT Spec B...Super fast, AWD, but it felt like it was going to fall apart when I took some hard turns.

Then I tested the A4. I test drove it twice actually. I drove an Automatic, which i did not like at all and a 6M, which I loved. The Audi felt more solid than all of the cars. The Quattro is great. The interior is beautiful. Most of all, it was the quietest car on the highway compared to all the others. It drives great. There is power at all levels of speed. Even at 80, you can drop it into 3rd or 4th and get to 100 real fast. The turbo is a great feature. I can't wait until I get my upgrades!
well said, in the end the lexus is a toyota and the acurais a honda infiniti nissat etc, you would think its the same with audi and vw but they are very diffrent

Old 10-16-2007, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

the things i like about my A4

heated leather seats
easy to use, fairly accurateclimate controls
material quality, woodgrain inserts, nice center console, steering wheel, not all cheap plastic
stuff like the instrument cluster, red backlighting and very nice crisp textlettering, easy to read, not thrown together with dinky numbers
heated mirrors
heated door locks
sunroof that isnt just open-closed, you can set it anywhere in between
all wheel drive of course
eauropean styling

not too bad for a mid 90's car. with every model of car there are base models, you add options, it changes to a different car
i could go on

Old 10-16-2007, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: BWillis

audi-quattro+tip=??
a toyota?

I think most people consider it luxury because they do have the options that your car does not. Most people have leather, heated seats/mirors, sunroof, sporty and solid interior ect... Compared to the new luxury cars the a4 has far less options but it can still hold it's own especially for the time when it was built. My other cars have just as many features as my a4 if not less and they are post 2003.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:39 PM

Audi has repeatedly won numerous awards over the years for its interior styling. No other car company can match the styling cues of Audi.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: BWillis

audi-quattro+tip=??
A better quote would be:

A4 - quattro + tip = Passat

Quick Reply: What makes the A4 a Luxury car?