Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel offset on '06 a4 ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 02:27 AM
1st Gear
Default wheel offset on '06 a4 ...

Guys,

Got a question for ya. I ordered a set of wheels for my new A4 ... and was very disappointed when they arrived and wouldn't fit (front brake calipers!). The wheels were 19x8.5 with an offset of ET35.

My question is this: What offset is needed to clear the front calipers on an '06 A4? I've found another wheel that I like and it has an offset of ET38. Is that enough or do I need to look for a bigger offset?

Thanks for the education as this is the first time I've had to pay so much attention to specs to get a wheel that fits my vehicle.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:46 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: wheel offset on '06 a4 ...

One other question:

How is the offset measured? Is it measured at the center of the wheel where the hub is or is it measured across the backside of the wheel at the shortest distance? Or is it measured another way? In other words, are wheels' offsets universal or do they depend on the shape and angle of the wheel's spokes?

Old 07-11-2006, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wildcatknh

One other question:

How is the offset measured? Is it measured at the center of the wheel where the hub is or is it measured across the backside of the wheel at the shortest distance? Or is it measured another way? In other words, are wheels' offsets universal or do they depend on the shape and angle of the wheel's spokes?

Offset is the distance of the centerline of the of the rim in relation to the mount point of the hub. The distance is measured in millimeters. Basically, there are 2 types of offset, negative and positive. Positive offset puts the hub mounting surface towards the outside of the rim, making the wheel fit closer towards the fenders, thus placing the mounting surface closer to the brake calipers while a negative offset does the exact opposite. So, an offset of ET38 means that the hub mounting surface is 38 millimeters from the rim centerline towards the outside of the rim.

The problem you have is that you have too much positive offset on that wheel. You will need to purchase a set of wheels with a lower positive offset, like a ET35 or lower, but not too low or your wheels will stick outside the fenders, depending on the width of the wheels.

Hope this helps

Old 07-11-2006, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

OK ... I think I understand this now. Thanks for the info. So it's actually almost backwards from what I was thinking. Originally I thought that a larger offset meant that the wheel actually sat further out in relation to the hub. But it's the opposite, and a wheel with a larger positive offset actually sits further back inside the wheel well ... correct?

And I think I can answer my own second question now. That is that 2 different wheels with the same measured offset can actually have different amounts of "clearance" to clear the brake calipers ... is that correct? Depending on the shape of the face of the wheel? For example, a wheel with a very deep lip and spokes that curve back towards the inside of the wheel and an offset of ET35 would have less actual room inside it to clear the brake caliper than a wheel with an offset of ET35 that had spokes that were positioned closer to the front of the wheel and had a shallow lip. Am I on the right track here?

Old 07-11-2006, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

OK ... I think I understand this now. Thanks for the info. So it's actually almost backwards from what I was thinking. Originally I thought that a larger offset meant that the wheel actually sat further out in relation to the hub. But it's the opposite, and a wheel with a larger positive offset actually sits further back inside the wheel well ... correct?

And I think I can answer my own second question now. That is that 2 different wheels with the same measured offset can actually have different amounts of "clearance" to clear the brake calipers ... is that correct? Depending on the shape of the face of the wheel? For example, a wheel with a very deep lip and spokes that curve back towards the inside of the wheel and an offset of ET35 would have less actual room inside it to clear the brake caliper than a wheel with an offset of ET35 that had spokes that were positioned closer to the front of the wheel and had a shallow lip. Am I on the right track here?
By George, I think you've got it!! Yes, you got it right!

Old 07-11-2006, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

Great, thanks for the education. So my problem was not necessarily the offset of the wheel, but could have just been a result of the design of the wheel. And if that same wheel had a lower positive offset, then it could have cleared the brake caliper ... right?

Old 07-11-2006, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

Great, thanks for the education. So my problem was not necessarily the offset of the wheel, but could have just been a result of the design of the wheel. And if that same wheel had a lower positive offset, then it could have cleared the brake caliper ... right?
Correct. Although design plays a very small role in this, it still could be the difference in alot of instances.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

The offset should be fine - you have exactly the same size and offset I'm running. What kind of wheels are they?

Here's a link to the handy dandy offset calculator quoted above.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

They were Arelli Mezlans (19x8.5). They have a very "deep dish" look to them. The wheel has a deep lip on it and I believe that the problem is where the spokes are angled back to the inside edge of the lip, they go so deep inside the wheel that they hit the brake calipers.

Anyway, this whole situation may be a blessing in disguise as I'm now not really sure that I liked the look of those wheels. And I'm not out any $$$.