Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when parking a manuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 03:58 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: when parking a manuel

i throw it in some gear... i dunno whichever way i pull the stick...

Old 10-25-2005, 04:17 AM
1st Gear

i always leave mine in either 1st or reverse depending on which way ill be going, i usually dont pull the e-brake up unless im on a hill. this does not hurt the car in anyway. i would recommend always leaving it in gear in case the e-brake fails so you wouldnt have to pick up chunks of your bumper when it rolls downhill into a tree or pole. BELEIVE ME.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:28 AM
5th Gear

Yeah I have absolutely no idea about the logic that if it is on flat ground, leave it in neutral... why!?

Doesnt take much of a grade for a car to start rolling... First gear is fine, all the time. Whether the car wants to roll forward or backwards, first gear is fine. Compression is what holds the car in place... if your car has low compression, the car will roll even if it is in gear. The direction of the cars rolling is irrelivent.

E-brake should be used all the time as well... keeps it from seizing, among the obvious safety benefits.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:47 AM
2nd Gear

I always put in 1st after I park even if I park on flat ground. I usually pull it into neutral right after I come to a stop, but I throw it back into first before I shut off the car.

My dad never sets the ebrake when he parks my car (which is why my dad also never drives my car anymore). Last time he drove it, I bugged him about setting the ebrake after he parked, so when I went out to my car to go somewhere, he had only set it up 1 click to be a smart ***.

I guess the good part of his bad habit would be that I will get an S4 bumper out of it someday.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:01 AM
1st Gear

That one click thing is great!!! sounds like something that I would do after being hounded about that.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:48 AM
Administrator

ehh i refuse to put my car in gear when parking.. I know a lot of you are going to say wow thats really stupid of you.. but seriously If im on a hill i turn the wheel and rest it on the curb ... and if my ebrake ever did fail and my car went rolling.. allwell.. f*ck it..

Old 10-25-2005, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

Yeah I have absolutely no idea about the logic that if it is on flat ground, leave it in neutral... why!?

Doesnt take much of a grade for a car to start rolling... First gear is fine, all the time. Whether the car wants to roll forward or backwards, first gear is fine. Compression is what holds the car in place... if your car has low compression, the car will roll even if it is in gear. The direction of the cars rolling is irrelivent.

E-brake should be used all the time as well... keeps it from seizing, among the obvious safety benefits.

true story, what I thought was flat once, with my 1995 240sx, apparently wasn't one day when the parking brake failed, and I found my car across the lot up over a curve... kinda embarassing.

That was the first day I didnt leave it in gear :-(

******* parking break. I never trust them anymore.

But definatly, leave the car in first, **** I dont think I ever use my parking brake ever, exept maybe on extremely save hills.

Headshok2002 is right on all aspects of this conversation.

IT DOES NOT HELP PUTTING IT IN REVERSE.

blah

So lets say cliff notes :

Park in first all the time, and get in the habbit of using the handbrake at all times with this. Then you dont have to worry about forgetting on hills, because of lax'ed habbits.

/END OF THREAD

Old 10-25-2005, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

i live in the mountains, theres only one place i park that ill put it in gear... the hill next to my dorm... otherwise, no gear... it may take something happening to teach me a lesson, but...

Old 10-25-2005, 01:56 PM
5th Gear

Please somebody explain the benefits of parking in neutral -- remote starter aside.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

Please somebody explain the benefits of parking in neutral -- remote starter aside.
none

Quick Reply: when parking a manuel