Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the dealer such a rip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 03:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Why is the dealer such a rip?

I need a new throttle body and Zumbach audi wants 516 dollars for it. So then I call Anchor Audi, they want 468 for it. ECS tuning with overnight shipping = 422. These guys are shamelessly overpricing their parts, I really have no idea how they get away with it.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:22 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Why is the dealer such a rip?

I always bring my Audi to the dealership.

I am totally illiterate when it comes to repairing cars (ask me about upgrading, etc, and I'm a chatter), so to me, paying the extra 10-15% to ensure that the guy touching my baby is keen on Audis isn't outrageous- it's practical.

High repair prices is part of the deal when you buy an Audi, I knew that and I don't mind paying extra for top knotch car servicing.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

PS- I'm not trying to flame you or anything like that, I'm just saying that there are some of us who don't know how to find parts for our cars on our own, and don't mind paying for quality parts and service at our local Audi dealerships.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

PPS- or maybe I'm just retarded and don't know how to manage my money.. who knows?! :P

Old 08-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Zombie Defense Force

because there are poeple that will only take their care there. its becuase audi can

Old 08-21-2006, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

cause it is the dealership and you know everyone will trust them with whatever you want them to work on.
and because you tell them to work on something and then they find something else that is wrong with the car...

and they also have to replace that and then there goes your bill out the wall haha cause i know how that can be.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:33 PM
4th Gear

Try to find an independent shop:

http://1.8t.org/tuners/

http://www.audifans.com/mechanic.php

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/dealer/locator.php

http://www.giacusa.com/dealers.php?sregion=

I agree with using the parts place

www.ecstuning.com

if the shop lets you.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

Yeah so far I have only been buying from ECSTuning, they have the parts I need at the prices I like. I have a private mechanic in brooklyn that does all the repairs for me, tough to find a guy like him does a lot of the work for free. The only time I have to pay is when I need to bring the car into the shop which his boss owns.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:03 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: MilitantGrunt
These guys are shamelessly overpricing their parts, I really have no idea how they get away with it.
Because they count on people not knowing to look other places for the parts.
The average person (Soccer mom) thinks to themselves, "Well, it's an Audi - I can probably only get an Audi part from the Audi dealer)

Same thing applies in almost all retail environments.
For instance, you ever want something for a computer.....
Go look at Best Buy and Circuit City pricing, then go to Newegg.com and see how bad you're getting whacked.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:52 PM
1st Gear

You could also go with an independent shop like us for all your maintenance/service and performance.

Our tech has worked at a local Audi dealership here in the Chicagoland area (The Audi Exchange in Highland Park) for over 7 years, but is now working for us full time!

Here's the kicker though: our labor rate is still only $75/hr and you receive the same expertise you would get at a dealer!

Quick Reply: Why is the dealer such a rip?