Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why replace DV with a stronger spring rate???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Default Why replace DV with a stronger spring rate???

If a Dv is designed differently to a dump valve(If you have taken one outthen you know what i mean) thenwhy do we need to replace it?? The pressure could never actually leak.I was just going through my E-mail and saw this i got from APRand thought about it. Whats your guys thought??

[/align]RE: Technical Support‎[/align][/align]From: Main Email (apr@goapr.com) [/align]Sent: Tuesday, 20 March 2007 5:17:43 p.m. [/align]To: 'Altaaf Samut' (a_samut_83@hotmail.com) [/align]
[/align]

Security scan upon download[/align]
[/align]image001.jpg (1.6 KB) [/align][/align][/align]

[/align]

.ExternalClass .EC_shape
{;}

.ExternalClass EC_p.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_li.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_div.MsoNormal
{margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';}
.ExternalClass EC_a:link, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;text-underline:single;}
.ExternalClass EC_a:visited, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;text-underline:single;}
.ExternalClass p
{margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';}
.ExternalClass EC_span.EmailStyle18
{font-family:Arial;color:navy;}
.ExternalClass EC_span.SpellE
{;}
.ExternalClass EC_span.GramE
{;}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;}
.ExternalClass EC_div.Section1
{page:Section1;}

Alfi,
There is a huge difference between what a boost controller offers and a chip. A boost controller simply tricks the car into producing more boost. A chip is going to recalibrate the entire engine run scenario. It takes into account fueling, ignition timing boost pressure and throttle position to give you the most efficiency possible. A chip will give you by far the most power, best drivability and is safe for the motor. 16 psi is actually not that much for a turbo car. We regularly run these cars to 22 psi with our stage 3 kit, that’s on all stock engine parts and DV. My car makes 400hp and I have had the stock DV on for 15k miles.

Greg Custer
Sales / Dealer Representative
Event Team Manager
APR, LLC. Phone: (800)680-7921
1027-B Opelika RdTech334)502-5181
Auburn, Al 36830Fax: (334)502-5180

[/align][/align][/align]

Old 05-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Why replace DV???

Either someone replaced the dv in his car before he bought it, or he is drving something like a TT that comes with a 710N dv stock. The spring in the A4's stock DV is weak, and the rubber diaphragm will tear/leak if you run 20+psi every day for 15k miles.... But anyway.. More importantly, are you STILL trying to swing the idea of using just an MBC to crank up the boost because youre too cheap to get a chip, or at least do the diode mod???????

Old 05-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Administrator

also the DV wont go rite away, when i got chipped i ran the car for about 3k befor i changed the DV buteventually it will go
and if u can freakin have enough money to get ur car to 400hp u can at least front the cash for a new DV but i think the guy is BSin

Old 05-10-2007, 02:48 PM

Lol. No i aint cheap and ive got a 97 a4 so a diode mod aint going to work for me. As for MBC, they are bad for any car but if used sensibly can work, not for boosting up but rather flating out the boost curve for better boost hold. I under stand the rubber diaphram but how does a spring play a part when the DV is on inside out as i mite call it compared to a dump valve.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

The spring holds the valve closed. It's supposed to open only when vacuum is applied (created by the engine when you let off the gas), which causes the boost pressure to be dumped (BOV) or recirculated (DV). If the spring/diaphragm is too weak it will give way under higher boost levels and cause you to lose boost pressure, a boost leak, even if it isn't actually "leaking" into the atmosphere.

The 710 valve Audi provides stock tends to fail under higher than stock boost pressures. Thus the recommendation to upgrade it when getting chipped or a BT upgrade.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:40 PM
4th Gear

A4's stock DV, summed up:

Plastic, Crap, Break.

*Applaud*

Old 05-11-2007, 02:49 AM
Default RE: Why replace DV with stronger spring rate???

The spring holds the valve closed. It's supposed to open only when vacuum is applied (created by the engine when you let off the gas), which causes the boost pressure to be dumped (BOV) or recirculated (DV). If the spring/diaphragm is too weak it will give way under higher boost levels and cause you to lose boost pressure, a boost leak, even if it isn't actually "leaking" into the atmosphere.
Have you seen how a DV is in the 1.8T?? If you pull it out you would realise that the higher the boost the more the seal. Until too muchboost and a cracked diaphram which can cause it to leak.It does not work the way BOV works. Which can open up under boost pressure.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:24 AM
Administrator

FROM AWE TUNING

The stock diverter valve uses a rubber diaphragm to open and close this pathway. This type of design is prone to unwanted boost escape, honking noises, and surging during part throttle.

http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...IL=BaileyValve

Old 05-11-2007, 06:25 AM

Yeap i do understand that the standard 710 is not the best and is prone to failurebut why do people talk about spring and spring rateof a DV for the 1.8T?? If the DV is installed the way it is then there is no way it would open under boost. Only the diaphram would go after a while ofboosting higher then standard.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 AM
4th Gear

I think its plastic so it doesn't hold its boost well high up, even when your not chipped... it leaks or something to that extent

Quick Reply: Why replace DV with a stronger spring rate???