Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 08:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Winter Tires

Hey all,
I'm already looking for the winter tires and what to put on for the season. The question i have is with the quattro should i do all season or just winter tires? Or should i go ahead and switch my wheels from 18's to 19's and then go for all new tires together? Thanx

Old 05-27-2005, 09:19 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Winter Tires

i say put on all season tires, i mean the quattro on audis is awesome, handles very well in the snow. and where im from we got a **** load of snow and the audi had no problem.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:14 PM
5th Gear

If you plan on having 2 sets of wheels, a summer and winter, get summer tires, and get winter tires... makes no sense to have one set dedicated to a season, and the other set all season. The difference in snow between all season tires, and dedicated winters... is incredible. Right now I have the nokian hakkapellita 1's or 2's ... I cant remember but they are very very good.

I wouldnt go any bigger than 17's in the snow though... i'd recommend 16's, with a narrow tire. and yeah, if you want to go to 19's in summer, you'd have a very VERY easy time selling your stock 18's.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:16 PM

all-seasons may be "ok" for the winter... but for summer driving you'll regret not have some nice sneakers for your ride..

if you're like me, you didn't buy your Audi because it handled "ok" or "good enough"
these cars handle MUCH better with the right tires on them, sports in the summer and snows in the winter..
sure you could get by with all-seasons year-round, but if your gonna do that why didn't you just buy a Jetta....

I run Michelin Pilot Alpin (PA2's i believe, or something very similar) in the winter months and I've had nothing but good things to say about them.
I've had it out in 8" of fresh snow without any problems, and can stomp the gas from a dead stop at a light with snow covered pavement and wont slip AT ALL !!!
I'd highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Alpin's for a snow tire..

Old 05-28-2005, 04:05 AM
1st Gear

I face a lot of snow and ice in the Rocky Mountains. Snow tires make a HUGE difference in the conditions I drive in. This definitely isn't for most people, but I take it a step further and get the studded tires. The AWD is superb, but the difference between all season and winter tires is quite noticeable. I've driven with both in winter conditions.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

Get new wheels and summer tires for the off season and get a set of nice winter tires to leave on your stock wheels. I went with the Nokian Hak 2's and was very impressed. My next set i will get studs....many say overkill, but i figure it wont hurt anything. Also, anyone telling you the wheels dont spin on snow covered pavement is full of ****. Especially if you dump the clutch and stand on it. One of the funnest things is to get that *** spun around in the snow, while still having a relatively good feel for the road with your fronts. I drove many times to the slopes this winter in straight up blizzard conditions, with ease...literally passing snow plows. I dont think i would have done this with the all seasons. How much snow do you get? If only now and then say like chicago or NY/NJ you might be fine on all weather sneakers.

I havent tried Blizzaks, but many here reccomend. I would reccomend the Hak 2's all day long.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear

My audi was great in the snow on all season tires never had a problem going around everyone that was stuck. If you do don't put anything too big on for the winter low profile tires are bad in the snow. The lowest I would go in the snow is a 55 series tire. If you do sell your 18's I'll take them off your hands.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:23 PM
4th Gear

I have blizzacks lm-22s. I live in pa, with lots of mountains, and these blizzacks go amazing.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:40 PM
5th Gear

It makes no sense to buy all seasons, if you're going to have 2 sets of wheels. NO sense.

Yes, quattro cars can get around well with all seasons.... but they do even better with snows.

EDIT: My parents have michelin arctic alpins on their golf... and pirelli something or other snows on their b6 a4... the arctic alpins are incredible snow tires, I've never experienced better braking in snow, than with those tires... thats comparing it to blizzak ws50's, my hakkepelita's, the pirelli's, and I had some ultragrip's on my talon. However, the arctic alpin is discontinued, and apparently they wear quickly.

I'd recommend the blizzak WS-50... its pretty renouned as one of the best winter tires out there.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:39 PM

i rave about my Michelin PILOT alpin's.. wonder if thats where the line went after being "discontinued".....??