Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers move only 1 inch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Wipers move only 1 inch?

Hi guys-

I have an issue with my wipers that started today.... if I try to turn them on, they engage for a split second and move up about 1 inch, but then stall as if something is it their way (although I checked and rechecked - there is nothing in their way). They stay up 1 inch for a couple of seconds and then go back down. So, basically, they don't work. What the heck could that be?..

Old 05-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Default RE: Wipers move only 1 inch?

the wiper motor could be goin out possibly

Old 05-10-2007, 09:42 AM
2nd Gear

Or the linkage is broken, still needs to be checked open the hood and get to wherer the battery is, and look at it if you see something broken then theres your answer.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

This winter i got some ice packed where the wipers come down to rest and they wer not able to move to the full lower position. I found that what happend was that the nut on top of the wiper motor had loosened enough so that it wasn't grabbing, but enought to make them twitch. was kinda a bitch to get to, ended up throwing the wiper and needed to get a new set..... it was a longgggg day.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:20 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Muchnik

Hi guys-

I have an issue with my wipers that started today.... if I try to turn them on, they engage for a split second and move up about 1 inch, but then stall as if something is it their way (although I checked and rechecked - there is nothing in their way). They stay up 1 inch for a couple of seconds and then go back down. So, basically, they don't work. What the heck could that be?..
the same thing happened to time. what i did was take the wipers off. turn them, on a full rotation and then put the blades back on. it worked for me. but also i think my wipers were on in the wrond posistion. have you ever taken them off?

Old 05-10-2007, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: widgget
This winter i got some ice packed where the wipers come down to rest and they wer not able to move to the full lower position. I found that what happend was that the nut on top of the wiper motor had loosened enough so that it wasn't grabbing, but enought to make them twitch. was kinda a bitch to get to, ended up throwing the wiper and needed to get a new set..... it was a longgggg day.
Thanks for your replies guys...

Where is that wiper motor located? Is it easy to get to?

ORIGINAL: EliteTuning1
the same thing happened to time. what i did was take the wipers off. turn them, on a full rotation and then put the blades back on. it worked for me. but also i think my wipers were on in the wrond posistion. have you ever taken them off?
I've only taken the blades off, but not the entire arms... if that's what you mean.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:32 PM
2nd Gear

yeah thats what i mean. well nvm if you havent taken them off. that wouldnt be the problem

Old 05-10-2007, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

the motor is almost under the driver side wiper, alittle tward the center of the car. you will need to remove that cover that is over the battery (the whole thing, not just the part covering the battery), i found ti very hard to get to, so i also removed the strip that goes along the edge, you'll see it, it's in the way. it was just three or four clips to remove it. once that is out you will need a box wrench , don't recall what size, to tighten the bolt on top of the motor, the problem is if the bolt WAS loose it is likly out of the position it shoudl be in, so you might need to do a little playing with it to get it to stop in the correct position. the only thing you really need to watch out for when doing this is if it's in the wrong position and tightened down when you test it you will ether stress the motor, bend your arms, or scratchup some stuff when the blade goes over the A piller or dives down into your engine bay, or god forbit you had the hood down.....

it's not as bad as i make it sound, really.