Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xenon lights flickering

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 PM
1st Gear
Default xenon lights flickering

The xenon lights on my 2006 A4 will flicker every once in a while, weather on a smooth or bumpy road surface. It was barely noticable at first. Tonite it was very pronounced to the point where an oncoming driver flashed his high beams at me.

Any sugestions as to why this may be happening ?

AmI in for a big repair bill? My car is about to turn 50,000 miles.

Thanks

Kevin

Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Default RE: xenon lights flickering

are they HID's? if they are the ballast are probably overheating. if there just xenon bulbs i would guess there is a short...

Old 01-18-2008, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. I will mention your suggestions when I bring my car to the dealer this Tuesday.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:49 AM
tdn
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Bondga

are they HID's? if they are the ballast are probably overheating. if there just xenon bulbs i would guess there is a short...
That's a bit confusing. HID = Xenon, they're both the same. Xenon being the gas used by HID (High Intensity Discharge), which is the technology.

If you're still under warranty, just bring it to the dealer. If you're out of warranty, first try making sure all connections are secure, if they are and the problem persists, replace both bulbs, otherwise the colors won't match. HID's change color as they age. This is a common problem and one of the two usually fixes it for most people. If you're out of warranty, be sure to do this on your own, otherwise expect to pay too much for a simple job.

By the way, this info is for OEM HID's.. if you've got after market, you can try this too.. but it can be another problem (ex: ballasts). I have the same problem and did a lot of searching (something the original poster should have done) and what I wrote above seems to be the solution for most people with stock HIDs that flicker.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:04 AM

My expirence with HID lights is that they all will flicker at one point or another, new or old. Both of my cars will do this. I just installed an HID 8000k kit on my black one recently and it does it sometimes. My red one does it once and a while also and those came stock with HID

Old 01-19-2008, 01:07 AM

Get the light issue checked out before you hit 50k. As long as you're still under warranty, it'll be free.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:30 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: tdn

ORIGINAL: Bondga

That's a bit confusing. HID = Xenon, they're both the same. Xenon being the gas used by HID (High Intensity Discharge), which is the technology.

If you're still under warranty, just bring it to the dealer. If you're out of warranty, first try making sure all connections are secure, if they are and the problem persists, replace both bulbs, otherwise the colors won't match. HID's change color as they age. This is a common problem and one of the two usually fixes it for most people. If you're out of warranty, be sure to do this on your own, otherwise expect to pay too much for a simple job.

By the way, this info is for OEM HID's.. if you've got after market, you can try this too.. but it can be another problem (ex: ballasts). I have the same problem and did a lot of searching (something the original poster should have done) and what I wrote above seems to be the solution for most people with stock HIDs that flicker.
Xenon doesn't always mean HID. You can get ricer 'xenon' bulbs at Pep Boiz and get the HID experience without actually getting HID lights.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:40 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: CLX

You can get ricer 'xenon' bulbs at Pep Boiz and get the HID experience without actually getting HID lights.
You don't mean that, right?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:45 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: sineo

You can get ricer 'xenon' bulbs at Pep Boiz and get the HID experience without actually getting HID lights.
Well, they are xenon filled bulbs, and since the glass is blue tinted you can get the HID experience if you aim them high enough to blind people or just drive with your high-beams on.

I was just making the point that you can get xenon filled bulbs that aren't HID's to tdn.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:52 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: sineo

Well, they are xenon filled bulbs, and since the glass is blue tinted you can get the HID experience if you aim them high enough to blind people or just drive with your high-beams on.

I was just making the point that you can get xenon filled bulbs that aren't HID's to tdn.
Well, but those bulbs you're talking about aren't xenon bulbs...they're "xenon look". They're still halogen. Definitely not the HID experience .

Quick Reply: xenon lights flickering