Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

A5 Purchase & Spec Queries

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Question A5 Purchase & Spec Queries

Hi, just come across the forum and am looking for some advise as I am 95% sold on a new A5 (Thanks to Dundee Audi). The spec I'm looking at is the 3.0l Q sport model, although I've read the ride quality is compromised in comparison to the standard model. Is this particularly noticeable and worth the 20mm less on the suspension and sports seats?
I've decided to opt for some extras and was just wondering what people's opinions of them were.

Y - spoke Alloys - personal preference. Look better than the standard ones I think.
DAB Digital Radio - Seems the way to go these days. The FM stations up this way are few and rubbish! Does this come with any additional graphical interface on the MMI similar to this clip, or is this specific for some other service not intended for the UK?
Sat Nav System Plus - This is the one that is really on the fence for me. Especially costing almost £2000 (equivalent of around 6 and a half TomTom Go 730's!) with it being a DVD based system, does this allow me to play movie DVD's? Can I add my own costom POI's via a memory card or disc etc? How much do the discs cost to upgrade? Who is the provider, Tele Atlas or Navteq?
Audi Hill-Hold Assist - Automatic handbrake basically?
Adaptive Lighting - Some friends say this is just a gimmick and is a waste of money. Does it come with turn lights as well as cornering lights? Are they just a gimmick in people opinions?
Door Mirrors - Electrically folding/dimming - Personal preference again, not much to be said about them really, is there?
Xenon Plus headlights - IIRC, all V6 and above models come with these as standard, or is it simply the LED running lights and dipped beam xenon as standard, with you having to upgrade to the xenon plus headlights to get the full and dipped beam with LED running lights?
Cruise Control - Personal preference again, does exactly what it says on the tin though I suppose?
Interior lighting package - I like a nice lighten cabin, presumably they are adjustable in contrast, what color are they, where are they located?

Sorry I've so many questions on a first post , just trying to get an idea of people's experence with the car and the options!

Graeme

Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Default My experience with A5 in answer to your questions

I have almost 6000 miles on my A5 Sline here's my take.
y spoke wheels excellent also like S5 wheels ,summer performance tires, bought tires and wheels from tire rack need winter tires here in NJ
Radio dont care I use my ipod connection and occasionally cd then fm and am talk radio B&O is better than stock.
Navetec and depending on your $ . Personally I cant stand **** mounted on my window .
Hill assist not equipped in my car it is 6 speed tip tronic.
Adaptive lights are excellent especially in cornering. Have a car with out and this feature is great. Self dimming mirrors are mandatory
Cant answer this I do know that europe has different settings for the lights.
Cruise comes standard. hardly use it never really did in the last 8 cars.
Interior lights are fine for my eyes and I am not doing and medical examinations in the car .

Last edited by bajajoe; 08-29-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:32 AM

I don't have an A5, but I have an allroad with the folding/ dimming mirrors, and YES, they are worth it. The dimming is awesome when you're on the highway at night, and the folding is great for pulling up to an ATM or a security checkpoint like I have to go through to get to work. If you're not like us fat, lazy Americans, and you like to walk across the parking lot, the folding feature may net you an MPG or two on the highway (less frontal area, but not much)...