Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Excessive Oil Consumption with the 2.0 TFSI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
ALL car manufacturers have carbon problems. You can goole Carbon "BMW" Carbon "Chevy" and you will find forums filled with complaints. Water / Meth isn't a reasonable fix. Just make sure you warm the engine up everytime you drive it no matter how short the drive is and have a top end cleaning down every 50,000 miles
First of all if you did your home work you would know that Lexus uses direct injection combined with port fuel injection at idle too wash away the carbon on the back of the intake valve. This cleans the valve from carbon build up. If you want to get real technical tell me why exhaust valves don't build up carbon but the intake valves do. And tell me why on BMW engines like n54 direct injection motor vs n55 motor show a complete diffrence in carbon build up. Class is in session.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 PM
1st Gear

I don’t want to BS you with a answer that is not truthful so I will just be honest. Trying to get a truthful answer from engineering is really tuff since they don’t like to give out info. From what I have heard if you have a car with a production date of 2011 or new it should be updated but I can’t be sure of this. Just change your oil every 5000 mile and your car will run like my wife’s 09 2.0 Quattro never burns oil never got ring breather or seal. The only thing I put in her car was the front Cambridge assembly and it wasn't even bad. Good Luck AudiTek

Old 08-29-2012, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

Hello,

I am an Audi Client Advisor. The 2.0 T has some open campains designed to address oil consumption. It includes a software update, a new oil pressure regulator valve, and an oil consumption test (2 parts). See your local dealer for details. Very rarely does Audi need to replace pistons and rings for this issue.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

If this is a common problem among the 2.0 TFSI, why doesn't Audi do a recall for a software update and oil pressure regulator valve? Those cannot possibly be costly to recall, yet I would assume the impact on customer satisfaction (considering the reach of this problem) would be profound.

Is anybody familiar with the consumption testing parameters or the breaking point for the oil consumption test for Audi to replace the pistons and rings?

I've noticed that the two times I've had full oil changes at Audi (at 5k and 15k miles) they have also done a thorough cleaning to remove carbon buildup. After these cleanings my engine is not consuming oil as fast as it normally does in between these changes (while the buildup is occurring). Considering just how bad my Audi dealership has been with me about my problems with my A5, I worry that a full cleaning of buildup would be done at the start of the test resulting in oil consumption levels reported at the high end of the "normal consumption scale" but not representative of normal driving conditions between changes/cleanings...which would ultimately result in me continuing to experience these problems.

By the way, I'm at 17k miles and I've had to put 6 quarts of oil in my car since I purchased it new (at 36 miles). Additionally, my car was dropped off at 5k and 15k intervals for oil changes with less than 1/4 of oil remaining on the MMI indicator. Rough calculation is 1 quart of oil consumed every 2300 miles.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Thorough cleaning?

Gurnade,

What do you mean by "thorough cleaning"? What did the service tech do?

Old 09-04-2012, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Gurnade
If this is a common problem among the 2.0 TFSI, why doesn't Audi do a recall for a software update and oil pressure regulator valve? Those cannot possibly be costly to recall, yet I would assume the impact on customer satisfaction (considering the reach of this problem) would be profound.

Is anybody familiar with the consumption testing parameters or the breaking point for the oil consumption test for Audi to replace the pistons and rings?

I've noticed that the two times I've had full oil changes at Audi (at 5k and 15k miles) they have also done a thorough cleaning to remove carbon buildup. After these cleanings my engine is not consuming oil as fast as it normally does in between these changes (while the buildup is occurring). Considering just how bad my Audi dealership has been with me about my problems with my A5, I worry that a full cleaning of buildup would be done at the start of the test resulting in oil consumption levels reported at the high end of the "normal consumption scale" but not representative of normal driving conditions between changes/cleanings...which would ultimately result in me continuing to experience these problems.

By the way, I'm at 17k miles and I've had to put 6 quarts of oil in my car since I purchased it new (at 36 miles). Additionally, my car was dropped off at 5k and 15k intervals for oil changes with less than 1/4 of oil remaining on the MMI indicator. Rough calculation is 1 quart of oil consumed every 2300 miles.
This is what Audi is doing on 90% of the 2.0Ts that are burning oil. We tell 1/2 our clients about the campaign and the other half tell us that their oil light is coming on between services. Audi is being proactive on this matter eventhough a majority of the oil light on concerns are well within Audi spec. It is primarily for Audi client concern that the campaign is in motion. Simple rule of thumb... if your low oil light is coming on between services, visit your nearest Dealership. Clients that have had the updated pressure control valve are seeing relief. Very few clients require piston & ring replacements unless they have been going to Jiffy Lube and getting topped off instead of going to the dealership for oil consumption review.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:52 AM
1st Gear
Default Addicted to oil

Up until my first service I did 7500 km. The car consumed 2.5lt of Oil. After the service, and they did the campaign fix on the car, the engine continues to consume oil. So far 4000 km and 900 ml. That is a marginal improvement. Engine performs fine, although the pipes are sooty. I am not a hard driver. Seems to be the way it is with this engine. Someone I knew had a Q5 and the comment was 'it uses a lot of oil'. The way he drove would probably make it worse. My previous was an A4 with 1.8. It used no oil. Wonder what the new 1.8 is like?
So there it is. Had the campaign, still using oil.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by audiguild1
First of all if you did your home work you would know that Lexus uses direct injection combined with port fuel injection at idle too wash away the carbon on the back of the intake valve. This cleans the valve from carbon build up. If you want to get real technical tell me why exhaust valves don't build up carbon but the intake valves do. And tell me why on BMW engines like n54 direct injection motor vs n55 motor show a complete diffrence in carbon build up. Class is in session.
All motors have carbon issues. Non FSI carbon builds up on the back of the valves and hardens keeping the valve from closing all the way.

FSI motors fuel hardens on the tips of injectors clogging them..... So it doesn't matter if they have a second set of injectors it doesn't clean the FSI ones. The only difference is if they squirt at the same time you maybe not get misfires because it double duties and masks the issue.

You can try and get as technical as you want, but all the reading in the world doesn't displace first hand experience. This is what I do day in and day out and i'm very very good at it. My old jeep has carbon issues, a 1996 A4 has carbon issues, a 2010 A4 has carbon issue, BMW, Ford, Lexus every engine will require a cleaning at some point of it life. Some more than others

Old 09-16-2012, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

Audi Tek and Gurnade,

Once again, I'd like to know what you mean when you say cleaning. What is done on a somewhat routine basis to "clean" these engines? I know that injectors can be pulled and cleaned relatively easily, but not intake valves. So, what does one do to either slow the carbon buildup or "clean" the intake valves, short of pulling the heads and doing a valve job?

Would it be effective to use Techron or some other high quality cleaning agent on a regular basis?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil Consumption

I feel that I have been ripped off by Audi. My 2011 A5 used 1 Qt of oil at 8000km. I have been monitoring it for about the past year and it uses 500ml of oil between 950-1600km. The owners manual states the engine can use 500ml per 1000km. I find it hard to believe that such a quality engineered engine can actually have such a high level of oil consumption. Nothing like driving a super looking and performing car everyday, but still feel like I have been taken.
I have had the oil consumption test conducted twice. The first result according to the Audi dealer was 0.05ml per 1000km. After I drove the car about 1000km and they physically added 800ml of oil, the second test was done with a result of 0.243ml per 1000km. Needless to say the oil consumption would need to be extremely bad to qualify and with luck hit the owners manual specs as depending upon driving the consumption rate varies with city and autobahn driving. I now have 70,000km on the engine and the consumption rate averages between 1100-1200ml per 1000km.

Last edited by USA Spec A5; 09-18-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption with the 2.0 TFSI?