Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

New member with A5 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 03:42 PM
1st Gear
Default New member with A5 questions

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member but I've been lurking for a bit. I'm thinking of buying a new A5 Premium 6 speed manual, but I wanted to ask a few questions first since I've never owned an Audi before.

To give you some background on my perspective on cars, I'm 37, and my first new car I bought was a 2000 Honda Prelude 5 speed in December of 1999. I owned that car until May of 2010 and put on 220,000 miles with lots of fun and very little headaches lol! In May of 2009 I bought my current car, a 2009 Accord EX-L V6 6 speed coupe. I currently have 86,000 miles on it. Obviously, for a year I kept both cars and used the Prelude strictly for work and the Accord for dates

So, as you can tell I've been a Honda guy for 14 years, but I also consider myself an car enthusiast. I'm now in a position to buy a new car and I've got more choices now that I can look at premium marques. I absolutely believe Audi makes the BEST looking interiors in the business. The A5 coupe is a svelte, slick looking coupe and I am sure it's amazing to drive.

I'm open to leaving the comfort of Honda, but I need to know honestly what you guys and gals do NOT like about your A5s. Talking to people around here, it seems Audi gets a rap for electrical gremlins and not the kind of car you can expect to keep for 200,000 miles of trouble free driving (provided you keep with the scheduled maintenance of course).

Just give me your impressions and whether you think I'd be disappointed with the car or I should go out and buy it.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to discussing this car with everyone!

Last edited by fastball; 12-24-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

Fastball, I just purchased an A5 which I think for the money is the best looking car out there. All cars have strengths and weaknesses. Honda does have a rock solid reliability record. Apples and Oranges...The only downside for me is that such a sporty looking car should more hp and torque. I am having mods done soon and will report on that after it's done. I've owned several Lexus and BMW's and an array of American cars. So far I really like the Audi A5.

Last edited by thomer; 01-28-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:08 AM
1st Gear

I have a 09 A5 S-Line that I absolutely love. I have had no major issues but I do have some minor criticisms. First: if I change my own oil, I have to go to someone (Dlr, friend, Indy Mech) that has a VAG computer to reset the service indicator which seems absurd. Second: I also need the VAG computer to change the rear brake pads because of the electronic emergency brake. Third: whenever you have the vehicle ignition system in the ON position (not started) and you want to check anything from the MMI such as oil level or change the position of the wiper blades, the radio comes on and you have to mute it because turning it off turns everything else off too....weird, but minor. Everything else is pure joy!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:37 AM
1st Gear

Man. for a "09 my audi a5 s-line stills gets the thumbs-up. If I cruise control at 65 I get killer mpg...with that said...I have yet to make some upgrades, but when asked to move, I get better than expected power and torque with great balance between gears(manual and I love it)

Old 01-28-2015, 10:46 AM
1st Gear
Talking

I couldn't agree more. I have the automatic transmission with the paddle shifters and that is a ton of fun. it has plenty of power for a daily driver - certainly enough to get into trouble with. as I mentioned before - I have no complaints with the 3.2L engine. Cheers.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:43 PM
3rd Gear

Audis are sports-touring-luxury cars. Hondas are not. Quattro is absolutely awesome in snow and even heavy rain. Hondas are very reliable; recent VAG products have really improved. That said, with so many accessories and features it is easy to have minor stuff fail. Your best precaution is to perform all scheduled maintenance and use full synthetic oil. My parents have an Accord - they are in their 80s and it is the most boring vehicle in the world to drive. Consider the Premium Plus version.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
Audis are sports-touring-luxury cars. Hondas are not. Quattro is absolutely awesome in snow and even heavy rain. Hondas are very reliable; recent VAG products have really improved. That said, with so many accessories and features it is easy to have minor stuff fail. Your best precaution is to perform all scheduled maintenance and use full synthetic oil. My parents have an Accord - they are in their 80s and it is the most boring vehicle in the world to drive. Consider the Premium Plus version.
I think you missed the point. First off I have the 6 speed manual V6 coupe. NOT your parent's version of the Accord which is probably a 4 cylinder automatic sedan. Please read more carefully before replying.

Secondly, are you suggesting that one has to chose between reliability and performance? It doesn't sound to me that you're completely behind Audi's reliability. Sure I have no problem following the maintenance, that's not the point - I'm interested in whether I can expect it to run over 150,000 miles without major problems. Routine maintenance, no problem. Major repairs? Unacceptable.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:03 PM
3rd Gear

I do the best I can with a 3rd grade education. Sorry to hit a sore spot about your Honda. You asked for opinions, however.

I put 235k on my A6 (still running) and major issues were an alternator at 75k, a clutch and FW at 85k (after chipping), and then nothing but maintenance until I needed cats at 180k and a fuel pump at 233k. Purchased the A4 for my daughter in 2008 with 69k - and felt confident enough in it for her to drive to college (1000 mile round trips). Bought my A4 with 99k. If you consult Consumers and JD Powers, you will find that VAG vehicles have steadily improved in quality. I doubt that anything can rival the Japanese vehicles.

I can't tell you if you will or will not have problems by 150k. So far my 2011 A4 is problem free and I expect another 100k out of it. But I drive it gently and do all the maintenance. It's interesting that Audis (and most cars) warranty to 50k. Obviously any car that is uber-reliable would have higher warranties because there would be less risk. That is not enough to drive me into a Kia showroom.

But other than the GT-R, 370Z, and 2000S I don't consider much of what the Japanese make to be performance oriented nor attractive. But I also own two Crossfires which the auto press, at the time, said looked like a dog taking a crap. They are still beautiful to me after 10 years with zero problems.