Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Water dripping sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:21 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy Water dripping sound

Well, it's my first new car with 1400+ miles on it, and I'm not knowledgeable about cars. That's why I'm here asking for help ...

Recently I noticed that there is water dripping sound after I turn off the engine, even if I don't turn on A/C. I didn't see water on the ground, but I did hear the dripping sound, sounds like the water drips onto some metal surface and I could hear it very clearly. Is that normal?

I'll post a youtube link later. Let me know if you'd like to share your thoughts.

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 AM
2nd Gear

its probably just sounds from the exhaust pipes or other (flexible) metal pipes cooling down. when the car is hot, and then shut off, its very common to hear metallic "popping" noises as all the components are cooling down

Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ilackav8
its probably just sounds from the exhaust pipes or other (flexible) metal pipes cooling down. when the car is hot, and then shut off, its very common to hear metallic "popping" noises as all the components are cooling down
Yes I think you are right. Now I believe it's some metallic noises when they cool down, which sounds really like water dripping though.

But another question, if I don't turn off the engine, the noise sounds like "Zzzzz" very annoying. It comes from the under body. After turning off the engine, the vibration when shutting the door can also cause the same noise. Here is the link:

audi a5 noise.wmv - YouTube

Really appreciate your help!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

hey...i am having the same issues...have been back and forth to the dealership to fix this with no luck thus far. they've tighten the exhaust system and even replace the middle section of the muffler. no luck. are you having any luck with this? any info you can share on what's been done or look at to fix it?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ultimatetan
hey...i am having the same issues...have been back and forth to the dealership to fix this with no luck thus far. they've tighten the exhaust system and even replace the middle section of the muffler. no luck. are you having any luck with this? any info you can share on what's been done or look at to fix it?
I try to live with it ... But I'll bring it to dealer again to have it completely checked after the first 5k miles. Hopefully they can fix it.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

Hello gogokevyn,
I have exactly the same sound on my 2011 A4 (12,000 miles).
I went to the dealer during a rainy day and they said that the sound had to do with the rain and that it was normal. The rain does not seem to be the cause since the sound is present most of the time. As opposed to the random popping noises commonly heard when you turn off any car, this one occurs while the car is on and follows a certain tempo/rhythm. It is not loud but I still would like to know if this is really "normal."
Have you or anyone else been able to find any info on this matter, or even better to solve this problem?
Thank you!

Old 05-01-2012, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

Hey Paca12,
Here is what I got from ultimatetan.

"long story short..after 4-5 trips, the dealer is telling me that this is caused by the presence of a middle muffler and the noise is coming from condensation. there is nothing they can do to fix it. however if i spend $2K to upgrade to the stasis exhaust system, the noise will be gone. the stasis exhaust upgrade removed the middle muffler completely. they tell me now that all 2.0T engine makes this noise. "

Also in the youtube post, someone said he's going to upgrade the exhaust system. I'd like to wait and see if their problem gets fixed after the upgrade. Let's keep each posted.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your reply!
It seems to me that this is a common issue with A4/A5 audis:
2.0T crackling/buzzing noise from underside

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b8-...issues-174400/

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b8-...er-car-173848/

Rattle under car - No help from dealer so far...

HELP - 2.0T crackling/buzzing noise from underside

According to one poster, Audi HQ is already aware of the problem and seems to be looking for a solution. Since the sound is not loud and many people constantly drive with their windows closed using the automatic climate control (the air conditioning is on by default), perhaps some of them have not noticed the problem. It would be great to have an idea of the percentage of cars that are having this issue.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

I have the same noise from my 2011 2.0T, it has 45k on it, not had the car long was kinda worried about but its good to know its normal. would like to find a cheaper fix than a new exhaust!