Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[DIY] Remove and Install Tail Lights (C6)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 PM
1st Gear
Default [DIY] Remove and Install Tail Lights (C6)

Hi, I'm new to this forum. After searching for a few minutes with no good results anywhere, other than a few bullet points, I decided to do my own write-up of the tail light replacement on an A6 C6 Typ 4F. This is my dad's car, as I drive an '05 BMW 330Ci ZHP. I'll stop boring you with my back story.

To the DIY!

What you'll need

• 13mm socket and driver and/or ratchet
  • A microfiber towel or a rag that won't scratch your car
  • A flat-head screwdriver
  • Preferably a chisel, but the flat-head screwdriver will probably work fine
  • A new tail light

Step 1

Open up the trunk and locate the black cap covering the one and only bolt holding the tail light in place. Ignore the removed panel if you're on the passenger side; my dad and I had no idea what we were doing before we figured this out.

Step 2

Use the 13mm socket and driver or ratchet to remove the large, plastic bolt from the tail light. Here's what you'll get:

Step 3

Take the microfiber towel or rag and wrap it around your chisel or screwdriver then place it between the tail light and rear quarter panel and push inwards towards the center of the trunk. It takes a little force, but the tail light **** things will come out of the rubber grommets that they're in and the tail light is almost free.

Step 4

Now remove the plastic piece on the side of the tail light nearest to the trunk lid. Just pull out on the middle, then pull up and it should come off without too much difficulty.

Step 5

It's free now! Just slide it out, and disconnect the plug from the back of it. Slide the screwdriver under the bottom of it where it's squared off and pry out. It may click, if so, just pull up and it should come out with ease. If that's not working try prying around the bottom with the screwdriver. Don't pull on the wires, you may rip one out.

Step 6

Go ahead and replace the old tail light with the new one. Click the plug back in, then line the metal ***** up with the rubber grommets behind the quarter panel and push firmly until it's snug up against the quarter panel.

Step 7

Bolt the tail light back on, and snap the plastic cap piece back over the hole. Then, put the plastic cover back on the side of the tail light. It's actually harder than you'd think. Place it slightly above where it's supposed to go, and line up the top with the clip that it is supposed to go on, then press down. You'll figure it out if you look closely at it.

That should be it. Start up your car and test it out.

I'm not sure how much I'll be on this board, but feel free to post or PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by Shockwave93; 07-20-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: formatting fail
Old 12-07-2015, 09:25 AM
1st Gear

how come the photos wont show?