Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 A6 2.7t - limp mode/loss of power troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:59 PM
1st Gear
Default '01 A6 2.7t - limp mode/loss of power troubles

I am looking at a 2001 A6 2.7t quattro, automatic transmission. 17x,xxx miles. From the information I can get from the seller it was modded by a previous owner (has "pipes", the throttle body Y boot looks like it may be aftermarket, and aftermarket turbos). Seller says a few weeks back they started having problems with it going into and out of limp mode after driving between 1-3 miles. Its been sitting at least two weeks so the car won't start but it will crank (probably just a dead battery seeing as it was close to 0 degrees f when I tried).

After reading the codes with a generic obdII scanner (not VAG-COM) I get code P1367. The EPC light is on, the check engine light is on, the traction light is on (triangle), the ABS light is on, the battery indicator is on. The center display's pixels next to the speedometer are scrambled to the point you can't tell what is going on.

Is a P1367 enough to make it go into limp mode or is there a larger problem that should be looked at?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if I am asking stupid questions or making stupid statements but I'm new to repairing cars. Trying to learn as I go along.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:27 AM
2nd Gear

I quick looked up P1367 and it seems like it's to do with a wiring fault to one of the coils. A misfire would certainly reduce performance.

I would first start by getting that battery checked for its current CCA capacity. I know electrical faults can cause all kinds of weird things to happen, such as almost every warning light to go on like you're describing. Assuming the engine is running, that is. I think in the accessory position most lights will be lit. Either way, I would still get that battery checked as it could easily knock 100+ off of the asking price without the owner being able to argue about it.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
I quick looked up P1367 and it seems like it's to do with a wiring fault to one of the coils. A misfire would certainly reduce performance.

I would first start by getting that battery checked for its current CCA capacity. I know electrical faults can cause all kinds of weird things to happen, such as almost every warning light to go on like you're describing. Assuming the engine is running, that is. I think in the accessory position most lights will be lit. Either way, I would still get that battery checked as it could easily knock 100+ off of the asking price without the owner being able to argue about it.
The battery will be the first thing checked when it warms up outside or garage space can be found. Before I think about purchasing the car I want to see it run even if its not at peak performance. Also I want to see if it shifts smoothly (from the little research I've done it seems that transmission repairs can be rather expensive.)

As far as the P1367 is concerned do I replace the coil pack or wiring somewhere?

Thanks

Old 06-19-2014, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

HI ,

Where you able to find the problem? It seems my car decided to go limp after ext lights came on.

Thanks