Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 a6 2.8 quattro fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

Check for scraps in the fuel system before installing anything!!! I was stumped and I went through 3 fuel pumps trying to figure out what was "shorting" mine out, but it was actually old pieces of the impeller from the original fuel pump, retained in the corners of the screened basket, that were getting sucked up by each replacement. That sent new pieces of hard plastic into my fuel pump housing and once I realized the pieces weren't part of the fuel strainer, I was relieved!! I cut the basket removed them and rescreened the basket with fine mesh screen and a zip tie.. I have the 4th (and final) fuel pump coming in tomorrow morning, I've thoroughly cleaned the fuel tank, I'm ready to get my 1997 Audi A6 Quattro Avant 2.8L Wagon and the dogs back on the road!!

I've got bruises on my arms from reaching in the tank for so long and so many times, bruises on my shins from hitting the metal of the car's back door jam while leaning into the back of the car and the gas had clearly played games with my appetite and senses. Best not to keep your head buried in a gas tank for too long!!! I had to make a special tool to reseat the housing, but it was only $20 and I used 4 6" corner brackets, a bunch of nuts, washers and bolts to make nubs at the ends and it took only one brief turn to seat the housing after I'd been fighting it with a strap wrench, my hands and several other tools since the VAG 3214 fuel pump wrench isn't a widely known or accessible tool. All in all this is going to be a success. I have to say going into it I thought it would be much easier than it was and am glad it will all be over in the morning!