Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 hood latch stuck, resorting to bolt cutters next, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Default '01 hood latch stuck, resorting to bolt cutters next, HELP!

Hey guys, new member here but I've been on vwvortex.com for nearly a decade and I've owned & built VW's for nearly a decade, I have this 2001 Audi A6 2.8 that I've come to hate with a passion.
The last problem I'm having is the hood latch cable has come undone from the hood latch, so it's not even connected anymore, I've taken the grill off and tried to crawl under the car to look up and CAN NOT get the thing opened for the life of me, I'm finally thinking about resorting to bolt cutters and completely destroying the latch assembly to finally open the hood.
Any advice? did I miss anything? is there any way around this?
I'm usually very good with this kind of problem (I've owned 2 Corrados) I managed to take the grill out before even reading about how it's done without breaking it, so I guess you can say I'm extremely handy with VAG products.
Thanks in advance

Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 PM

I guess bolt cutters it is...

Old 07-29-2009, 06:06 PM
4th Gear

hang on a another day, I'm sure someone who's done this before will chime in.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear

Looking through the grill at the latch, the release mechanism is at the top of the v-groove and hidden behind the latch plate. Looking at the latch, you want to move this release plate to the left (towards the passenger side of the car). You need a pry bar with a crowfoot end or something else with a 90 degree bend in the end. Stick the bent end between the hood latch and the release mechanism and pry. A screwdriver work from a shallow angle all the way to the left (driver's side) of the car. Can you remove the secondary latch? The are three nuts holding it on. Getting it out of the way might help.

Bob

Old 07-29-2009, 07:34 PM

hello Bob, seems you might be my life saver, I tried everything except what you explained, I did think about it but I didn't think that I can actually move that latch, it looked like it's tightly snug so I didn't even try, as far as removing the secondary latch, I've seen the pictures and read how it's done on the A4 but what I've come to realize is that the A6 bolts are not in the same place as the A4, the third one is far in there, I can't get a wrench behind to take it off, I did take off 2 of the nuts but not the third one. I will try to do what you are instructing me to do and I hope it will work.
Does anyone have a top view picture of the latch assembly? it would help tremendously if I could see the assembly I'm working with, I'll be able to pry exactly where needed.
Thanks again Bob

Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 AM
2nd Gear
Default Picture of Latch

Here is a picture of the latch. You can see the release mechanism just behind the front plate. You want to push this to your left as you look at it.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails '01 hood latch stuck, resorting to bolt cutters next, HELP!-dsc00994.jpg