Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 A6 2.7T missing maintenance record?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:19 AM
1st Gear
Default '03 A6 2.7T missing maintenance record?

Over the weekendIbought a really clean 2003 A6 2.7T with 37,382miles (Light Silver and loaded) from a local used-car dealer.The car is beautiful,performs perfectly and visually checks out.But tobe certain, I madethe purchase subject to completing a mechanical inspection. After I brought the car home I noticed the "SERVICE!" display warning came on when starting the car. Then I began looking through all theoriginal manuals, there doesn't appear to be any record ofmaintenance done at the scheduled service intervals except for theoriginaldealer stamp at time of delivery to the original owner(June 2003).No record of dealer service via CarFax. Now I'm concerned the lack of dealer maintenance record may void the factory warranty (which expires in June). Even worse, I'm wondering if the original owner didn't do any scheduled maintenance on the car - could pose major problems long-term. Should I back out on this deal (paid only $22K and retail blue book is almost $28K) or see if the mechanical inspection checks out and not worry about it? Am I too emotionally attached to this??!!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:38 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: '03 A6 2.7T missing maintenance record?

Don't worry about the "service" light -- that's just a reminder that the 40k service is due. The car is requesting routine maintenance -- not telling you something is wrong.

Let the independent inspection be your guide. Make sure it's done by somebody that REALLY knows Audis -- not just somebody who says they do. Check the appropriate regional forum here and at www.audiworld.com for a recommendation on a good mechanic in your area. If they give the car a clean bill of health, go for it.

It's not uncommon for a car to be short on service records and not unusual for maintenance to not have been done at the dealer. With only 40k on the car, it's unlikely that the cumulative effects of less than stellar maintenance have taken their toll. I'm not sure about the details of the warranty (I bought mine out of warranty) but I doubt that lack of dealer service records would void your warranty (anybody else care to weigh in here?).

For the record, the price you're getting is good -- not great. NOBODY ever pays bluebook retail. If the dealer pulls that line on you, look them square in the eye and ask them if they think you're a fool. Are you too emotionally attached? Of course -- if you weren't, you'd be buying a Lexus. People buy these cars because they're more fun. That doesn't mean you're acting foolish. Just make sure you get a good pre-sale inspection and take good care of her going forward (do a search on "rules of turbo ownership" and use synth oil).

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:24 PM
2nd Gear

you can re set that light yourself. In my car it is my oil change service light. I've got myself in the bad habit of not resetting it when I change my oil. thats all.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:05 PM
AQ6
1st Gear

Congratulations on your purchase! Southboro is right the maintenance might not have been done at the dealer. I had a similar experience, no dealer stamp, no service records, nothing showed on carfax, this is when the dealer can be your friend. The service light is on, make an appointment with the dealer for your no cost 40k warranty service. While you are there the service advisor can tell you what Audi dealer maintance records exist for the car. With my experience immediatley after I purchased my car I went to the dealer for service, I was told none was needed at that time as all scheduled services we complete, made me fell more comfortable. The service adviser gave me a print out of all maintenance that had been done on the vehicle which I keep in my files. A suggestion, develop a relationship with your service advisor he can be a big help in the future. These guys hear all the complaints and receive little thanks from the dealership. After my recent service I brought a gift certificate to a local eatery for my adviser and it's gone a long way.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:29 PM
2nd Gear

A6Q has some good suggestions but don't be tempted to treat these as an alternative to a good pre-sale inspecdtion by a good mechanic. It may cost you $100 but it is cheap insurance against something wrong with the car that the selling dealer should be on the hook to fix.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:57 PM
AQ6
1st Gear

Agreed, however a call to the Audi dealer with the VIN number, while you're waiting for the pre-sale inspection, just might give you some peace of mind, and it doesn't cost you anything. Just my 2 cents.
It sounds like he didn't buy it from an Audi dealer. If not and it's still under warranty wouldn't Audi be responsible for any repairs?

Old 02-12-2007, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

Good suggestion AQ6 .......and thanks to all the other posts. Audi dealer wouldn't give the history over thetelephone but I went into the service dept and they gave me the entire history of the vehicle. Relieved most of my fears...all the dealer maintenance has been done and I am still under warranty coverage for the upcoming 40K service! Service writer told me to schedule it at 38,500. Looks like I may hang onto this A6 and will be a regular on this forum.....

Old 02-12-2007, 11:47 PM
2nd Gear

Congratulations! Sounds like you've landed a nice ride.

Now, here are the first two mods you'll want to do...

- H-sport anti-sway bars
- VAG COM central locking recode (do a search for VAG COM locator to find one near you)

First one will cost you about $350 but is worth every penny. Second one is free. Follow the link in my signature to my registry page for details on both and other mods as well as many helpful links you'll want to bookmark ("Stoney's Links" is the, THE, THE one you most want to bookmark).

Welcome!

Old 02-14-2007, 12:24 AM
3rd Gear

Southboro must own H-sport stock. He always recommends that upgrade. :-) There's lots of good upgrades, depending on how you drive and what you are looking for. Read the back posts in this forum.

Good luck. It's easy to get emotionally attached to the silver A6's. They are gorgeous and really perform with the 2.7T. However mine has not been as reliable as I would have expected from a luxury car. But you could not get me in anything else and I intend to keep it indefinitely. It is also outstanding on snow and darn good on ice. Don't get your hopes up for great gas mileage - you'll probably see 16-20 around town and 20-24 on the highway.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:35 AM
2nd Gear

Nope -- no stock. Just have had the experience of what a great difference they make and have read dozens of posts by other people. All agree -- best bang for the buck. Only $350 to significantly improve handling? Easy money.

My other favorite mode is my short shifter, but you need a stick for that.

Quick Reply: '03 A6 2.7T missing maintenance record?