Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 A6 TCM problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 11:54 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy 04 A6 TCM problem?

Hey guys I recently(yesterday) bought this beautiful machine and have been pleased with it in the short time I've had it. The problems started this morning after a Thunderstorm.

I go to crank up my car and I notice the drivers side floor as well as the passengers side floor is completely soaked with water. No biggie, I've read about the cowl, sunroof and the battery drain so I buckle down and find the culprit. Here's where my major concern lies and I'm sure many of you can guess what happens next. I pull out of my driveway and my car isn't changing gears and when it does it drives sluggish and constantly jerks. Am I right in suspecting more than likely it's the TCM?

Thanks guys..Any help would be appreciated..

Old 11-11-2013, 03:01 AM
2nd Gear

First thing I would do is inspect the TCM for signs of water damage / connectors that are coated with calcium/crap.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:56 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply man. I called the dealership this morning and they said the part would be 1200 and the labor would roughly cost the same.

They also told me the console would have to be taken apart. Maybe I misinterpreted what I've been reading but I thought the TCM was under the passengers side carpet?

Old 11-11-2013, 04:51 PM
2nd Gear

That is correct. However they have to check the foam under the dash since the water usually comes in from the air filter or the windshield trim that wasn't properly sealed and it could be soaked.
I had exactly that happen to me last year (windshield plastic trim piece wasn't sealed right) after safe-lite repaired my windshield. They took care of all the costs and Audi charged 1000$ just to take out the carpet, inspect the stuff behind the dash, shampoo the carpet, dry it all out, check the TCM and put it all back together (took 3 days for everything). The carpet is one piece, so that is some major work.
I'd say they estimate you have and the labor description is accurate.