Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 sline help

Old 03-04-2012, 04:19 AM
1st Gear
Default 04 sline help

whats up guys im new to the audi world and i need some help.....i have a 04 a6 2.7t sline tiptronic which recently blew a catalytic converter.i figured since i have to drop the motor to change cats i should change the turbos while im in there but idk where to start. im looking into frankenturbos but i was told once i put those in imma have to do fueling upgrade as well is that true? will the frankenturbo setup even fit on my car? cause im mostly seeing modded 2000 to 2002 a6 never a 04 is there a difference turbo wise ?

Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by itzkevo
whats up guys im new to the audi world and i need some help.....i have a 04 a6 2.7t sline tiptronic which recently blew a catalytic converter.i figured since i have to drop the motor to change cats i should change the turbos while im in there but idk where to start. im looking into frankenturbos but i was told once i put those in imma have to do fueling upgrade as well is that true? will the frankenturbo setup even fit on my car? cause im mostly seeing modded 2000 to 2002 a6 never a 04 is there a difference turbo wise ?
I don't think the motor has to come out for the cats. You might want to get another opinion.

Don't mess with the turbos if yours are ok. The tiptronic will need to be rebuilt to handle the extra power or it will. Fail. The fueling has to be changed and so the bi pipe the black pipe going from turbo to throttle body. Just change the cat or gut them and have the cats coded out of the ecu.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

How did you Blow a catalytic converter? Wasn't it hot? Sorry, couldn't resist. Getting those downpipes out is a pretty tight job, but it's possible... without pulling the motor. If you pull the downpipes, you may as well have the pre-cats gutted or buy some aftermarket downpipes (or piggies), and have a stage II tune (stops you from getting fault codes that your secondary O2 sensors would set off).
If you get frankenturbos, plan on spending another $4K+ (fueling, IC's, intake piping, tbb, bpv's, full exhaust) in supporting upgrades.... and expect to BLOW your tranny (although it might be tough to get in your mouth)... sorry, couldn't help it...again...

Tiptronics don't handle much more power that stock. Most say it's safe to go stage II, but others have had problems at that power level (320-340hp).

Welcome to the wonderful world of turbo-ed Audi's. You will laugh, you will cry. You will love, and you will hate....and you will spend lots of money. And meet some great people around here.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
2nd Gear

I agree with the above two posters.

Especially since you said it's an '04, simply running more boost isn't a good idea if you're not going to change other components (Transmission, drive train parts, etc).

Old 03-08-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys for all the advice I was about to blow a ton of money unnessicarly. So come to find our my car has 2 recalls so I contacted Audi so once I bring it in to them I'll see where I Stand and could start my stage 2 upgrades.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:07 PM
3rd Gear

I just had a Billy Boat downpipe kit installed (eliminated the pre-cats and replaced the rear cats) and the engine did not have to be pulled. My mechanic hated the job and it was tight under there, but they were able to do it by removing some tranny mounts and leverage. I do have the MT6, though.

Be careful going stage 2. The tip is not really heavy duty enough and you can fry your torque converter pretty easy. I had to replace my clutch and flywheel within 10k miles of chipping mine.