Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 A6 Door Panel removal...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:50 PM
4th Gear
Red face 1996 A6 Door Panel removal...

Ok.. I give up and need a little help here

My drivers door handle wont open the door from the inside anymore (just felt it ' let go'). No biggie, right? Only I can't get the friggin door panel off.. I have removed the upper two screws, the ones in the handle, and found where the one behind the latch handle is suppose to be. However, the panel wont budge. After pulling various places, I feel that there is another one behind the rear wood trim, but cant seem to figure how to get that off either without breaking it...

Any help here? It's friggin COLD outside

Old 12-31-2009, 09:34 PM
4th Gear

OK.. so a crowbar and hot knife it is!

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:10 PM
3rd Gear

I hope it isn't too late...
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...or+Replacement

Happy New year!

Old 01-01-2010, 12:33 AM
4th Gear

OK.. so hard was it to actually 'pull' the panel up? I found all the screws (and the one behind the latch handle, which was missing).

Old 01-01-2010, 03:31 AM
3rd Gear

as far as I remember that was the "hardest" part as it was snapped in place pretty tight.
Actually I had a little more trouble when I mounted the panel back, because of the locking safety "pin" or "****". It took me a while to figure out how to keep it in place while sliding the panel's hole over it (it kept popping out from its position)

Old 01-01-2010, 03:57 AM
4th Gear

Thanks, man. Will give it another try tomorrow. I pulled, pushed, hammered, swore and cursed, etc.. couldnt get the damn thing to budge at all. Maybe the 20F temps had something to do with it, dunno

BTW, dont you sleep?

Old 01-01-2010, 02:54 PM
3rd Gear

Actually I was on my way to bed when decided to check the forum one more time It used to be diff when young, as the New Year night is a party night back in ole Europe, bigger than the Christmas...

Anyway, if all the "stops" are out of the way, you should be able to push up the panel from the bottom, as it doesn't rest against a frame groove or metal tabs (as you know already and can see). I was a bit tentative when I got the panel off, just like you (actually NH made fun of how long it took me to replace the regulator :-) ), but I'm pretty sure you'll have an "ahaa" moment.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Site Moderator

I haven't messed with the C4 chassis too much, but on the C5 you only have to remove the two philips screws at the top of the panel then pull it stright upwards then out. Pulling out towards you won't do you any good. You don't have to remove any door handle hardware or anything like that from what i remember. The A6 is the easiest of all the audis to remove the panels.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
Actually I was on my way to bed when decided to check the forum one more time It used to be diff when young, as the New Year night is a party night back in ole Europe, bigger than the Christmas...

Anyway, if all the "stops" are out of the way, you should be able to push up the panel from the bottom, as it doesn't rest against a frame groove or metal tabs (as you know already and can see). I was a bit tentative when I got the panel off, just like you (actually NH made fun of how long it took me to replace the regulator :-) ), but I'm pretty sure you'll have an "ahaa" moment.
I always have fun - especially with people in the Midwest LOL -- When you put it back together make sure you seal the plastic sheet or you'll end up with a wet carpet when it rains.. PS It takes little fingers to work on the stuff in the door... and keep the bandaids close at hand.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:03 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
I always have fun - especially with people in the Midwest LOL --
You sure are a hoot.

Quick Reply: 1996 A6 Door Panel removal...