Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Audi A6 100 (C4) Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:01 PM
1st Gear
Post 1996 Audi A6 100 (C4) Limp Mode

I recently have been having many issues with this car since I bought it.

First I replaced the TCM due to drains being clogged and well you know the rest.

After that I sent the car into the stealership and they replaced my wire harness for me from the TCM to where ever else it goes.

They told me that I need to replace a crank shift positioning sensor, and another sensor I think they said RPM sensor.

Does anyone have the bentley pages on replacing these? I want to buy the parts and try to get it to work properly.

Pretty much all the car does right now is after I reset the TCM with my VagCom it drives... for a little while up the road pretty much, shifts into second a little bit rough though. At any moment it just dies out. When I restart the car it is in limp mode and doesn't go past first gear as you all may know. Would these sensors cause this?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 AM
3rd Gear

I would assume that if the Engine Speed (RPM) sensor doesn't "read" anymore, then you'll definitely have trouble shifting - which you have.
You'll need the crankshaft holding tool 3242.

2.8 Liter V6 2V Engine Mechanical, Engine Code(s): AAH, AFC
13 - Engine - Crankshaft, Cylinder blockEngine speed (RPM) sensor mounting bracket, adjusting Note:

- Place crankshaft at TDC position with crankshaft holder 3242.
- Remove heat shield for RPM sensor, and then remove RPM sensor.
- Loosen bracket.
- Install RPM sensor.
Although the inserted pic is for "adjusting", it'll give you an idea where the sensor is located.

About the Crankshaft position sensor, you can find pics on the forum as to where is located. However, you should be able to see it in the general area above the oil pan and perpendicular to the wheel well, on the side of the engine (of course, driver side).

- Remove Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor from left-hand side of cylinder block.
-The TDC hole in the crankshaft must be positioned behind the hole of the removed CKP sensor (visible and/or tangible).
- Screw crankshaft holder 3242 into hole left by CKP sensor, and tighten slightly.

Attached Images   
Old 01-04-2011, 01:52 AM
1st Gear
Default Thanks!

This is great information. I really appreciate it.

Is this tool you are talking about > http://www.etooldirect.com/assenmach...ource=googleps

Or something else? I can't seem to find much on this tool.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 AM
1st Gear

Let me just make sure I'm clear on want I need.
- Vehicle Speed Sensor (although the rpm gauge moves and speedometer moves.)
- crankshaft holding tool 3242
- Crankshaft positioning sensor

Is this what I'll need to get the job done?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 AM
3rd Gear

Yeah, that's the locking pin - 3242, and you got the right list.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 PM
2nd Gear

I undersatnd the VSS, but do not understand why you would replace the crankshaft position sensor. It only talks to the ECU for ignition timing. Your engine is starting and running nicely, correct? That, to me, would mean that the crankshaft position sensor is OK. It seems the VSS is what you need to replace. Am I confused?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
I undersatnd the VSS, but do not understand why you would replace the crankshaft position sensor. It only talks to the ECU for ignition timing. Your engine is starting and running nicely, correct? That, to me, would mean that the crankshaft position sensor is OK. It seems the VSS is what you need to replace. Am I confused?
The dealer told him he needed it....
"They told me that I need to replace a crank shift positioning sensor, and another sensor I think they said RPM sensor"