Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 A6 Wagon: Sell, Restore, or Drive Till it Drops?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 PM
1st Gear
Default 1997 A6 Wagon: Sell, Restore, or Drive Till it Drops?

I've got a 1997 A6 Quattro Wagon with about 140,000 miles on it. I've kept up with scheduled maintenance, and there are no bad problems with it, the worst thing is leaks from both bottom end seals, which I put up with and top up the oil when needed. Little things like dash lights going out, seat adjustment electrics, etc. that are just annoying and no more I have let go too.

I really like driving this car, and it's a reliable ride when it snows, and I love that I can throw a piece of plywood on the roof rack and carry heavy stuff around every once in a while. The room and ride are great on road trips, too. In short, I like everything about this ride, including its lines, but know it's going to continue to age, as all of us do.

I'm trying to decide if I should find a local shop to 'restore' it. My idea is to get thorough diagnostics on the drive train and other systems, then fix everything, paint it and detail it and drive it for another 10-15 years. Budget of around $6K. Otherwise, it's sell it and find something else to buy, or just let it put itself out to pasture as it ages.

Any thoughts? Engine, tranny or suspension mods I should look into if I do the project? Am I crazy to think this is a great car that I will have trouble replacing for less than a number that will make me queasy?

Thanks in advance for any help with this dilemma.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 AM
1st Gear

Keep it. Fix the stuff that needs fixing. Leave it stock. 140,000 is nothing and you could easily get another 140 out of it. Good luck. $6 g should do it easily.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, Bob. These cars may not be the best at anything in particular, but they do a lot very well.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Wilbur1
Thanks, Bob. These cars may not be the best at anything in particular, but they do a lot very well.
And it won't cost anywhere near $6 grand to get it in tip top condition. Have fun , I did find out how well Quattro works a few weeks ago so we got that going for us. It doesn't snow much in North Carolina.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

We don't get too much in Portland, either (at least on the valley floor), but when it does come the place shuts down, and I always go out in the A6 with plain old all-weather tires and it doesn't miss a beat. Good fun tooling around in the white stuff!

Old 03-21-2014, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Wilbur1
We don't get too much in Portland, either (at least on the valley floor), but when it does come the place shuts down, and I always go out in the A6 with plain old all-weather tires and it doesn't miss a beat. Good fun tooling around in the white stuff!
Oh yeah! I've been here 20 years and finally got a snow storm worthy of the Quattro. Of course I was out driving around in it when the "authorities" told everyone to stay off the roads. No problems except it is pretty close to the ground so I had to watch for the berms of snow the plows put up. Fun, now off to the beach.