Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Audi A6 Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 PM
1st Gear

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but my question is related.
My 97 A6 Quattro Wagon has started leaking coolant. the only place I can see it is on top of the tranny behind the bell housing. If my heater core is leaking, would it drain from the housing to this location? I juat want to be sure before I spend the weekend tearing it apart to repalce the core.
Thanks for the help, off to read the how to thread.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:21 AM
3rd Gear

In all the honesty, I'm not familiar with the quattro engine bay.
However, you still have a valley pan and probably the t-stat and water pumps are in the same places as in an AFC non-quattro.
The coolant pipes coming into the rear of the T-stat and Water pump housings are "sealed" just with a flimsy o-ring gasket. I put new ones in mine and 14,000 miles later started to leak again, although not bad. If you never had those changed, there's the likelihood that they're leaking like a sieve (how much coolant do you have to add weekly?) and the coolant pools on top of the valley pan. From there it will most likely drip on the bell housing.
With the heater core: if it leaks on the outside of the housing (weathered hoses), then the coolant should drain in the plenum. The plenum's drain hole on a C4 (you may have two, I only have one on my non-quattro, hence the reference for that) is offset more right over the top of the passenger side cv axle - so it wouldn't drip on the bell housing.
If the heater core leaks inside the housing, then you'd get your feet soaked through the air vents.

Last edited by chefro; 04-21-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

I was just into the whole top end of the engine last suummer doing head gaskets (and all others that came with the set) after the t-stat froze and overheated. So all those seals are new.
The reason I suspected that it might be the core it that there is no coolant coming off the back of the valley or even on the bell housing, just the top of the transmission. The only source that I could think of way back there would be the heater core. The odd thing is that there is no steaming inside (yet). When it comes home and parks in the driveway it leaks about 4 oz or so...
Currently having to refill the resevoir about once a week. Any other reason coolant would be back there other than the core?